Qualcast 42S Lawnmower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A neighbour has asked me to have a look at his Qualcast 42S lawnmower, the drive belt keeps coming off the pulley. Having taken a look at it (without a service manual) I can't determine what is the correct route for the belts to be installed. There are a couple of Posts placed strategically around the drive belt compartment, but I can't determine whether the belt should go over or under them. Has any one any idea where I can see a diagram of the belt layout for these lawnmowers. Web site searches have so far been unsuccessful.

Sponsored Links
amazing whats on the internet!

try here

http://www.qualcast.co.uk/manuals/index.html[/QUOTE]

I had located that site and the diagrams of the belt location are not that specific. The manuals are a little help but are not as detailed for the DIYer as I would have expected. For instance, there are a couple of fixed posts in the drive housing and it is not clear to which side of the these posts the drive belts pass. Another is when tightening the drive pulley nut, for obvious reasons, the torque applied by the tightening spanner is transferred directly to the roller, and there is no way thet I can find of stopping the roller from turning in order to tighten the nut. There must be some method of doing this with some flats on the roller shaft some where, but I cn't find it anywhere. These things are not rocket science and are very agricultural but without some specific details like I have just described, the repair becomes problematic.

if you are still having problems with this i can send/upload some photos which may be of help. interestingly i am trying to remove the rear roller on my 43s and have the same problem... turning the nut turns the roller. how to get it off ?

Sponsored Links
if you are still having problems with this i can send/upload some photos which may be of help. interestingly i am trying to remove the rear roller on my 43s and have the same problem... turning the nut turns the roller. how to get it off ?

Hi Rocky,
I did eventually solve my initial problem but another one revealed itself. I needed a new drive belt which I bought from a local dealer. When I tried to fit the new belt, there was no way it would fit the two pulleys, it was just too small. If I forced the belt into position then it was far too tight and as such the drive clutch mechanism would not operate. It was the correct belt as the the part number confirmed. The only way I could come up with to solve my problem was to place a 4mm thick washer between the two halves of the 'split' drive pulley. This allowed the 'v' belt to sit lower in the pulley and just gave me enough play to allow the belt to fit and the drive clutch to operate It effectively gave me a slightly smaller diameter drive pulley. It may be that there was a washer in this split pulley originally and someone unknown to me removed to take up the play in a stretched drive belt. To be honest I just don't know but my modification worked and allowed the drive clutch arrangement to operate. The machine has been working for my neighbour ever since (about 6 mowings).
Now your problem of the roller cylinder rotating when you try to remove the pulley nut. I think I did it my removing the cover from the other side of the machine to where the drive pulleys are, and as I remember there is a protrusion of the roller shaft onto which there are flats onto which you can place a suitable spanner to stop the roller rotating.
These Machines are to say the least very agricultural, but having said that my neighbour has had 10 years reliable service out of the thing and the Scarifier cartridge is a godsend.

hi again,
thanks for the pointer. got the cylinder off at the weekend and the engine. cleaned off all the rust ... now just got to paint and re assemble.
cheers,
R

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back