qualifications required?

With respect to insurance, I am not sure how much those that have spoken of it ACTUALLY know rather than think they know, but let me give you the professionals view on this.

The Insurance company will not ask for proof you are a qualified spark. They may ask if you are qualified, and the simple answer to that is YES YOU ARE, but your training requires updating to the latest Regulations. When they ask if you work on Live equipemtn you say NO. If you say yeas your insurance will be astronomical. Your lack of knowledge of the regs can be overcome by simply going to the local college and speaking to one of the lecturers, then arranging to do the C&G 2390 course, this is the BS7671:2001 update course and will bring you up to date with the current regulation standards.

The Public Liability Insurance should cost between £90 and £140 per annum, and this will give you up to £3 Million Insurance, you do not need more than this so don't be fooled into buying more than you need.

To be honest, probably the best way to approach this problem would be to do a C&G2391 Inspection and Testing Course, then contact companies and see if they will give you work as an inspector and tester as and when required, or alternatively, forget the courses and contact Siemans or someone similar to be trained as a meter fitter/inspector. They pay for the training and they provide a vehicle, you have no need for insurance and your supplementing your Pension. They do have problems getting people to do and stick to this Job.

Sponsored Links
When you say they don't ask for proof that you are qualified, does it still mean that you do have to be qualified? Would being up to date on the regulations be enough?

Extrasolar said:
When you say they don't ask for proof that you are qualified, does it still mean that you do have to be qualified? Would being up to date on the regulations be enough?

NO, if something went wrong your insurance would be invalid as you would not be a qualified spark.

All conversations are recorded (for training and quality control purposes :D)

Sponsored Links
I used to go out with a senior underwritter who explained that when they asked if people were qualified, it simply ment that they have take some form of training. It is VERY slack, and one of the major problems with fly by night sparks... Ever seen rouge traders, you should see the one with the Sparks in!

Extrasolar said:
Motor insurers don't ask for proof that you have a driving licence. But if you lie about that and have a prang that they will not pay out, no matter how competent a driver you are.

So I guess it's the same with this - you had better actually have passed the exams if you expect your insurance to be valid.

Extrasolar said:
FWL, you must get through a lot of spanners in a day. :evil:

:D

?????????????????????????????????????

care to explain that is it flew over my head :)

ban-all-sheds said:
Motor insurers don't ask for proof that you have a driving licence. But if you lie about that and have a prang that they will not pay out, no matter how competent a driver you are.

Well they actualy query the DVLA database to double check the informations you give them with regards to penalty points are true. Either way thou, if you don't have a licence, why would you take out insurance? It would be invalid (as you say) - but anyway :p

oilman said:
I agree, but house owners will gradually get more aware of it when they get the questions about work having been done without certificates. Nobody may know before they get out and get the money, but the purchaser can get them later or at least make life unpleasant when they find out.

Of course, you now have to sign a disclosure form when you sell your house which includes such things as "have you had to complain about the neighbours". I am still in my first property so haven't had to do one yet, but can you ask questions? Then you could ask "did you get a NICEIC spark in to do the extension wiring?" for example. If you blow up a lightswitch 6 months later because they did it themself and got it wrong then you could sue them (although I think you can only sue them for how much it devalues your house by).

You can ask whatever questions you like.

You can (should) ask for proof that the extension did have planning permission.

Ditto Building Regs for the loft conversion.

Ditto Part L compliance for any replacement windows.

You've always been able to ask the vendor to provide an up-to-date PIR, if you want.

How much hassle you want to cause the vendor will depend entirely on how much of a buyers vs sellers market it is.

When I moved into my house, the mortgagers surveyor spotted VIR cables, and all they did was to say something like "the wiring should be inspected by a qualified electrician and the recommendations of his report adhered to".

When I started out here, 806 posts ago (yikes) I was just an innocent DIY-er who had no idea of the horrors that some people do with wiring, and if/when I move house I will definitely consider asking the seller for a report. And if the verdict is "oo-err", I'd definitely consider knocking a few grand off the price.

Whether I would spend that few grand on an electrician is another matter ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back