qualifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi would like a bit of info if poss.I have served as a electricians labourer for 3 years and as an electricians apprentice for 1 but recently laid of from my company i have been asked by some people where i live to do some work on there houses what qualifications do i need to self certify my work as at the minute i have none and am unsure what path to take any help much appreciated thx

Sponsored Links
Look to study the 17th Edition City and Guilds -You'll need a regs book and onsite guide for starters too.

Some work can be done without any qualifications "like for like" changes but some work needs certification via being in a Part P registered scheme or via the local borough council for a fee

I am not an electrician

if you qualify as a "Domestic Installer" this is a simpler level (electricians look down on it) which you may find is sufficient for the sort of work you do. there are some short courses available, if you are unemployed you might even get on one free. with your previous experience you should find a lot of it familiar. this will enable you to to earn a living and comply with the law fairly quickly.

Nothing to stop you going on to increase your knowledge and qualifications later.

I have about £1000 to spend on courses but have no qualifications feel i have enough experience but i am confused on where to begin

Sponsored Links
Take a look at the NICEIC website, it tells you on there what qualifications you need to have to join their domestic installer scheme.
Also have a talk with your local college, they will be able to tell you what courses are on offer. Which part of Cumbria are you from?

£1K will be plenty to do the EAL Domestic Installer NVQ & 2381 at a college. Don't throw your money away on a private training company.

as bas said dont waste money on private training
the eal domestic installer 12 weeks £285 with cconsesions
£90 2382-10 a bit more but not much this will depend
on the college get on the phone and shop around
best of luck

Another option to obtain the 17th edition qualification is to go and book the exam straight with the IET. This will save you sitting a five day course and a considerable sum of money but will depend on you already being up to date with the regs or picking up the book beforehand and learning it.

You can take a one day open book exam for the EAL domestic installer cert, costs about £120 and is dead easy.

1) The EAL test is not open book.

2) The EAL qualification requires that you pass all the continuous assessment module tests as well as the final exam.

I must be getting it mixed up, but when i did my "5 day wonder" a couple of people did the test in one sitting with an open book.
They had a work assessment to, but that only took the morning

I must be getting it mixed up, but when i did my "5 day wonder" a couple of people did the test in one sitting with an open book.
They had a work assessment to, but that only took the morning

I think they'd be retakes after a previous fail.

Retakes supervised by someone desperate to get his organisation's pass-rate up, no doubt. None of the individual module tests or the final one are open book, either first time around or on retakes.

OR....

ncoups - are you sure the people you saw weren't doing 2381/2382?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back