qualifications

Retakes supervised by someone desperate to get his organisation's pass-rate up, no doubt. None of the individual module tests or the final one are open book, either first time around or on retakes.

OR....

ncoups - are you sure the people you saw weren't doing 2381/2382?

Doh, I was thinking of 2381/2 not EAL. My mistake.

Sponsored Links
Defo wasn't wiring regs, it was "EAL certificate for domestic electrical installers level 2" is that the same as you guys are talking about?
A couple of people sat in our classroom for about 3 hours then took exam with open book, and they weren't re-takers.

hi there are 17 units and off the top of my head
4 are practical ( work shop ) i can,t imagine anyone
failing this micky mouse course

Sponsored Links
I agree it is really scary to think that there are people so thick and/or incompetent that they would fail. But there are - I have sat in a classroom next to them.

And even scarier to think that they might scrape through at a second attempt with the help of notes in front of them.

I agree it is really scary to think that there are people so thick and/or incompetent that they would fail. But there are - I have sat in a classroom next to them.

And even scarier to think that they might scrape through at a second attempt with the help of notes in front of them.
it scares me even more the ones that passed who should
never be allowed near an electrical install

supposing i wanted to make the leap from diy'er to basic certification, i presume from what i've read so far that the domestic installer qualification would be best, having had a quick look on there website, i notice :-

F/102/7127 - Applicable building regulations for domestic electrical installation

J/102/7128 - Electrical safety legislation, regulations, standards and terminology

L/102/7129 - Domestic electrical installation – pre work survey/inspection

F/102/7130 - Domestic electrical installation – safe isolation procedures

J/102/7131 - Identifying unsafe electrical situations

L/102/7132 - Domestic electrical earthing and bonding requirements

R/102/7133 - Electrical test procedures

Y/102/7134 - Selecting domestic electrical cable and components

D/102/7135 - Installing and replacing electrical components

H/102/7136 - Checking the correct and safe operation of installed electrical components

K/102/7137 - Recording of electrical test results and completing certificates

M/102/7138 - Installing and/or rerouting domestic electrical cables

T/102/7139 - Domestic electrical installation – special locations

K/102/7140 - Understanding of new domestic electrical circuit requirements

M/102/7141 - Installing domestic lighting circuits

T/102/7142 - Maintaining domestic electrical installations

A/102/7143 - Basic understanding of 3 phase supplies

now, it's easy to say yea i understand 3 phase based on info from this forum, but i never had any reason to know it before, also from other qualifications i have, some answers have to be specifically worded, an answer in laymans terminology isn't good enough....

so where would i look to see if my knowledge is good enough to consider doing this course? the module's they state above, is there a course that goes with this which would ensure my knowledge is upto scratch? what should i be reading inline with this qualification to prepare & ensure i am actually ready for it?

(i realise there are lots of good / essential publications like 17th edition, building regs Part P, L & M etc, but i mean directly inline with the course)

thanks

Gazzer.
What do you need to get certified with NICeic ?

All you need is the 17th regs according to the NIC guy I spoke to yesterday. Of course then you have to have 2 jobs inspected and go through the NIC guys questioning which may be more difficult than the 17th exam ;) .

I am a non practicing electrician who is researching coming back into the profession. I agree it is not clear what you need to do to get recognised. There are may contradicting opinions.
I went to one company in Liverpool who recommended I do a £3600 course that they could provide :eek: . Considering I served an indentured apprenticeship in industry I suspected they where attempting to rip me off. :evil: .

The route I am choosing is this.
17th regs
EAL Domestic Installer (probably not needed but won't do any harm.)
Inspect and test C&G. (again not needed but will be a good refresher)

Then the NIC inspection. One job is a major (CU replacement is ok) and another job is a minor (I was thinking putting some security lights in my back garden anyway :) .

I hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back