Qualified electrician.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been working on large construction site this week.

The electrical contractors had a new starter on site on Monday. He was hired as a fully qualified electrician, as he said he was and had his tickets including 2391 to prove it.

First job was to fit some box lids to some steel conduit. He was told to nip to the stores and get some M4s. He asked what they were :rolleyes:

Next thing was to make of an armoured. Turns out he's never worked with or terminated an armoured before.

More worryingly he reckons he's been working as an electrician for a year or so now :eek:

Sponsored Links
If he's only done domestic/commercial he may not have come across metal trunking before, so IK'll let him off that one, but something missing from his training if he's never terminated armoured, even in the classroom.

PJ

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what happened with him. I'm not working for the main electrical contractors on this job, I just got chatting with on of their foremen who couldn't quite beleive what he'd just seen!

I've known a few electricians that cant terminate an SWA cable. Also get some who can't wire up control gear for lighting when there's a bloody wiring diagram on the ballast and ignitor.

I did all sorts on my course.

Prior to becoming a spark, I worked in the food industry. When I was at college training for that, the amount of stuff we did on the 2 year course was incredible.

When I started my current job, I had to talk to the college to clear up an issue about certificates.

The person I spoke to was the principle, who was one of my lecturers in 1983!

He explained it thus:

In your day, the BTEC course covered everything, from A-Z. But these days, they seem to do A-C with a few touches on the other things.

So, I reckon your chap has not had a thorough training.

ill just point out to those who dont know 2391 is a testing qualification.
that anyone can take.
if you were looking for an electrician with proof of experience you should ask for an nvq.

that anyone can take.
if you were looking for an electrician with proof of experience you should ask for an nvq.

Not necessarily so on both points:

I know of two sparks and a plumber who have done NVQ's and they have all said it was an abject lesson in futility, with endless and needless photo's being taken to act as 'proof' of their competence. It appears to be a potentially pointless qualification which is based on the tickbox culture..I could get a piece of SWA and strip it back and take some photo's of myself holding my gland....ahem, a gland... :) .....it proves very little.

One of the above said to me it was also a good way to lighten your wallet of a grand!

Before I was able to get on the 2391 course I had to be working in the industry, have relevant certs such as 2360...2330...2382...and be deemed as knowledgeable enough to do the course. Both the practical and written exams are not a walk in the park, hence the high-ish failure rate that has occurred in the past for sparks doing it.

I realise that not all colleges Etc. have the same entry criteria, but I personally think that 2391 would 'top trump' a NVQ most times!

that anyone can take.

Not necessarily so on both points
'tis true though, is it not, that someone could pass 2391 without ever having had to make off SWA?

I have been in the trade now some 40 odd years and other then in college I have never made off a mineral insulated cable.

I have worked in factories where the guy I am working with has been working on that one machine for 15 years and is completely out of touch with all other aspects of the trade.

So yes I can see how an electrician may have never used M4 screws he would be more at home with 2BA.

As to SWA glands I was on one job where 100's were installed incorrectly and had to be replaced. The seals were being damaged my employer has realised the problem and was issuing helm oil which was really for fitting sleeves but stopped damaging glands.

I am sure many have worked for firms who gave tool box talks where errors are highlighted.

Often it is the simple things we get wrong. I used tallow and washing up liquid for years on hard cable draws I never considered that it could explode. One tool box talk where it was highlighted and I was converted to Yellow77.

I sat in on a college course and could not believe how many in class though iron was an insulator.

In Sizewell I watched Baily's apprentices they spent 3 years pulling cable and never worked on anything live. All they had was what college taught them.

Surely even a DI knows that an M4 is a machine screw :rolleyes:
map.jpg

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back