Quality hand pruning shears

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been pruning the (non-stoned) fruit trees and my secateurs are useless. Most of the cuts are ragged even though I sharpened them before using.

No matter how much I spend I can't see to get good ones.

Any recommendations please?

Sponsored Links
which size are you pruning?

The old "Wilkinson Sword" secateurs model rights were bought up by a Swiss company, which still produces them. I have a couple of pairs in different sizes. Now branded Felco. Very good. Expensive enough to go on your Christmas-present list, though

I also use a pair of loppers which are very quick and can be used on small rose-prunings once you get the hang of it. You may need to go back with secateurs to cut to an eye.

You can still get garden tools with the Wilkinson Sword name and logo, they are reasonably good, but it is just a brand owned by some other company, and no longer "top of the range".

Last edited:
Felco are considered by many to be the rolls Royce of secateurs.

Sponsored Links
As above, brought her indoors some Felco for Xmas a few years ago and they are excellent

I have a pair of Felcos and they are excellent.

I keep a few tools in the bomb shelter halfway down the garden (and I do mean down!) and I recently needed a replacement pair of secateurs for there, so I looked on the Screwfix site and I saw this.

They look really like a Felco 2 but are only c. half the price, with a 10 year guarantee.

I use a pair of Felco 2 secateurs - they're a cut above anything else I've used - well worth the money

I need them for the lower end of pruning: I have loppers.

I did have some Felco but they were poor - I must have been lumbered with a "Friday afternoon" pair.

Cheers all

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back