quartz floor tiles. vs Rectified porcelain floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the difference between the quartz floor tiles with mirror flecks compared to the porceline ones with silver mirror flecks apart from about 20 quid the porcelain ones are described as ....A fully rectified porcelain tile to imitate the extremely popular Quartz with mirror flecks.

Sponsored Links
quartz is a compisite tile, man made from resin/sand/quartz and the glass mirrors you see sparkling in them...

now the problems us tile fixers have been having with "some" quartz tiles over the last year or two is...bowing/blowing/tenting with "some"..

more or less the market has flooded with "some" inferior quartz..these ones when mfr,have had to much resin added to the tile and thus they absorb the water,which is added to the adhesive,so you get the above problems...a quartz tile should be around 90% - 95% quartz..

thats why alot off adhesive mfr recommend a flexy fast setting adhesive with a latex mix instead of water or an adhesive with a low water content PTB(this doeasnt take much water in the mix,compared to other adhesives)..

in saying all off the above..i dont want to put you or anyone off this tile...because they are a lovely tile and great to work with...i have done loads off jobs with quartz and turned out beautiful...honest..just check with mfr re:adhesive..

now
rectified porkies...
again another great tile..

rectifeid..this means the tiles are ALL CUT TO SAME SIZE AND SHAPE...
so you can get a smaller grout line with them,they do this by firing the slab first before cutting the tile so as above same size/shape etc...

you have the choice off two great tiles there IMO...

how does the look of the porcelain compare with the quartz as I've only seen the quartz,I'm waiting on a sample of the porcelain, the dude over the phone said theres not much difference in looks both kinds have the mirror flecks ,but the quartz needs more after care and is a bit more glossy

Sponsored Links
I've just received the samples of the porcelain and they are not as nice as the quartz
...quartz it is looks loads better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back