Qube Dual Control Thermostatic Recessed Shower (built-in)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need your help please, I'm a relative novice and know very little about plumbing so if I struggle to understand please bear with me.

I have an old Bristan built-in shower, which now leaks through the shower head no matter how tightly I turn it off. I've looked about a little, and found talk of this being fixed by changing the cartridge. Confused, and I suspect I have misunderstood. My questions are:
1) Can this be fixed by simply changing the seals in whatever regulates the flow ?
2) Do I remove the top tap (regulates the flow) and change the seals in whatever I find there, or do I remove the cartridge from the lower tap (regulates the temp) and replace the seals/cartridge ?

I've fitted showers and cubicles in the past, but I have nowhere near any of the skills/knowledge you guys have, so your help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
denso13 - many thanks, I've ordered a new valve from Bristan. Help me a little more please - does the existing valve unscrew or simply pull out ?
If pull out, I'm guessing that I re-attach the tap and use a couple of screwdrivers to lever it out ?
I've attached a pic of the shower.
Again - thanks for the help

Attachments

• DSC_0040.JPG
    DSC_0040.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 115
The one from shower doc is below and looks like it screws in/out. Does that white bit pop out?

brist-00622130.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nope, it's slightly recessed and looks like it's part of the valve. I hope I haven't mistaken the shower model - I'll check with Bristan now.

Bristan tell me that the white plastic fits over the valve, and that the whole assembly simply pulls out with a little brute force and ignorance (exactly my skillset). Will update tonight once I have a go :)

The valve doesn't budge. I'm loathe to use too much more force,having had a pair of mole grips on it and levered them against the rim (with a bit of wood in between the metal). I know the wood will give but I haven't seen any movement in the valve at all.
Has anyone changed this valve? Can anyone confirm that it's a pullout job?
All help gratefully received

if the part is the same as denso13 posted,then a box spanner will work or you may have a car socket set

Last edited by a moderator:
R&R
Many thanks, but there appears to be a white plastic cover on the valve (see attached). The new part has a thread which bears out what you're saying (sorry I feel a bit dim now for not noticing the thread before). This all implies that I need to lever off or cut off the white plastic - does that sound right?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 98
If not done already wd40 it,
Has the white insert got flat sides for removal with a spanner ?
Or is the white part you are gripping round ?

Looks like the white part is smooth (no spanner purchase) and is domed to make removal difficult :( . Can you prise it out with a couple of screwdrivers on opposite sides?

Set of mole grips on the dome did the trick, with a bit of brute force & ignorance. Now just got to buy an 18mm box spanner

Photos of the strip down and individual parts as done would be a great help for future reference if you could.

Jon

Certainly will do Jon, just as soon as I can get my hands on a couple of box spanners with a 60mm reach ! They seem rarer than Unicorn droppings.
Anyone any ideas ? I've tried the obvious sheds, Screwfix, some local merchants...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back