Question about Arc welding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently started working with arc welders, in particular with mild steel. I was just wondered if anyone could explain how a single-v butt joint works in preparing the metal?

I've looked online and I can't quite make sense of it. Any easy explanations or resources you could link me to would be amazing!

Sponsored Links
The edge of the metal has a chamfer so when you butt the 2 pieces there is a larger area for the weld to join.

As above....it's called a 'prep' and the vee is filled in with the weld metal.
Very important especially if you want to grind the surface flat later.
John :)

This seems to explain it quite well.
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/arc-flat-joints.htm
Lots of good stuff on that site as well.
As it says there it's used on joints where full penetration is needed. (Stop grinning at the back! :))
The better, and more accurate the prep is, the better the joint.
After that it's just practice! :)

Sponsored Links
Now watch the metal bend like a banana :p
Such fun!
At school I was trained for a week by a guy who worked on the rigs -bloomin' genius he was. You should have seen my attempts at overhead pipe welding....ridiculous :D

Bend it will! :)
Positional welding's an 'orrible job. And how is it that no matter how well you seal the gaps around your collar, there's always one little burger of a spark that finds it's way in, and sort of bounces all the way down your body and leg to your boot staying nice and hot until it's been down there for a few seconds?
As with most things welding the right rods help though. With the welding that is not the spark thing! :)
(Edited for speeling) :)

Quote from one of the other welding trainees:
'Can't you turn this bloody ship on its side?' :p
I've either got spark burns or one hell of a sun tan on my right wrist :D
Maybe I should stick to pressing wild flowers!

Reminds me of a mate of mine, back in the early 70s. Faced with the task of working on a Mini subframe, him and another mate turned the car onto it's side on a couple of old mattresses.
Could be a problem with a ship though. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back