Support 9inch wall Query?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey up, I'm a newbie and this is my first post so go easy!!! I have just recently bought a small but perfectly formed old Victorian terrace built 1890ish.

I am currently drawing up plans for a 1.8 x 3.6m single storey kitchen extension, not massive by any sense but would make better use of the single skin drafty rear porch that is there now.

Part of the work would require to take out a 3m span of 9inch solid external wall (not supporting any first floor joists, they run adjacent to the wall and the roof construction is purlins and rafters).

Now i've done a bit of research of what i could need to support the above wall and before i turn to a SE I could do with educating myself on the above so i dont look a complete numpty, here is what i have found, may or may not be correct but i'm here to learn!:

1/ a universal beam 254x254UB, thinking i need the complete 9inch coverage?
2/ 2 x steels (172x102) bolted together?
3/ heavy duty concrete lintels?
4/ heavy duty cavity lintel 200x230 _||_?

A SE will be used as i will require calcs for building control. I'm a bit of a way off this yet but thinking allowed and would really appreciate some advice of what i can and cannot get away with!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Concrete, no

Unless you Yorkshire chaps really do have massive gonads and can lift a 10x10" beam, then a better choice would be 2 x 7" ones or the steel lintel

The lintel should not require any SE calcs either, steel beams normally would

Thanks for the response, and nah there not that big!!!!! Thats good to know regarding the calcs situation, the steel lintel would be my preferred choice logistically. Cheers

Sponsored Links
you do need to sort something out as your comments are so far are useless...

what steel would you like to use...

Hey up, I'm a newbie and this is my first post so go easy!!! I have just recently bought a small but perfectly formed old Victorian terrace built 1890ish.

I am currently drawing up plans for a 1.8 x 3.6m single storey kitchen extension, not massive by any sense but would make better use of the single skin drafty rear porch that is there now.

Part of the work would require to take out a 3m span of 9inch solid external wall (not supporting any first floor joists, they run adjacent to the wall and the roof construction is purlins and rafters).

Now i've done a bit of research of what i could need to support the above wall and before i turn to a SE I could do with educating myself on the above so i dont look a complete numpty, here is what i have found, may or may not be correct but i'm here to learn!:

1/ a universal beam 254x254UB, thinking i need the complete 9inch coverage?
2/ 2 x steels (172x102) bolted together?
3/ heavy duty concrete lintels?
4/ heavy duty cavity lintel 200x230 _||_?

A SE will be used as i will require calcs for building control. I'm a bit of a way off this yet but thinking allowed and would really appreciate some advice of what i can and cannot get away with!

Cheers

what do you want to get away with...

OK i see what you mean from the original post. Well as little of possible with one eye on the cost without compromising with the build.

A catnic lintel would be my preferred choice, would be easier to install, lighter to lift into place than a steel, but can it deal with the loading?

The thing is visually to support the wall it looks like i would need a chuffing big steel, if i can get away with a lintel, cut out the cost of a SE and less hassle installing would seem an ideal solution.

Anyone had any similar experiences on such a matter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back