Opening in supporting wall without acros?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wall in the photo is a single skin supporting "spine" wall which houses the staircase in my victorian semi.

I am planning to house the wooden box which is 460mm wide and 200mm high into the wall which will house my sky box and wall mount the TV above I plan to put a concrete lintel above for support but wasn't sure whether I would require the full 150mm clearance either side. Can I knock out the bricks and insert the lintel without temporary support??

My concern is that the masonry won't be very tight as it is contains the original lime mortar.

All the electrics would be housed in the understairs cupboard.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't need to bother with acros on that span; at the worst, one or possibly two bricks may work loose. You might be lucky and cut under 2 bricks coming together, in which case it is unlikely any will drop.

Personally I wouldn't bother putting a lintel in. If you do, you will need to cut out extra width of opening each side, over and above the 460, to accommodate the beam. This could cause a few more bricks to drop which you would need to mortar back in (and plaster).

Just cut the hole a little wider and higher than the box (no more than an inch each side) and then stick it in; apply some expanding foam to seal the gap and secure it rigidly. The wall isn't going to fall down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back