Question about gas fiitings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I was helping strip old pipework prior to refurbishment(no I wasn't nicking it :D ). I thought I would do a bit of recycling & recover the blanks from where gas & water pipes had been capped off. I was surprised to find that the gas fittings apeared to be made of some sort of cast material with the threads sealed with a gungy paste whereas the water were all nice brass fittings sealed with ptfe tape. Is this just a cost saving method used by British Gas or is there a technical reason for it?

Sponsored Links
Hiristorically gas pipes were mostly steel presumably because that was cheap and they were very strong and very difficult to damage.

More recently internal pipes after the meter have been made with copper as this is easy to work with and does not need heavy threading equipment.

Copper may be more expensive but its far quicker to install.

This change is mostly prompted by the proportionally higher wages now.

Tony

I agree with agile mostly old pipes were steel and capped off using stell fittings now mostly are copper and more expensive and quicker

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back