question for self employed builders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive been a bricklayer/builder most of my life, about 2 1/2 years ago I quit my job to go work for stone mason, unfortunately the guy turned out to be full of crap and the job was a total non starter.
anyway my mortgage is paid off and with nothing to lose decided to go it alone, and its been going pretty well since then, I advertised for the first 6 weeks but since then its always been word of mouth and recommendations.
I'm not making a fortune but I'm getting by, its mostly smaller jobs i.e. bathrooms kitchens drives walls plastering etc.

so here's my question:
so far all my work, except one has been for private individuals, all have been very happy and paid in full without any problems what so ever except the one private company, The work was done at the beginning of December and they still haven't paid, they were happy with the work and I've been back to see them and they are apparently chasing it up, now it wasn't a lot of money (a couple of hundred quid) and if they don't pay then ill probably just have to write it off.
its very demoralising though, you see all these cowboy builders on the TV but you don't ever see it when its the other way around

now this has made me a bit sceptical, and at the moment I'm doing a quote for a company that owns lots of houses and Letts them out, they are based in Leeds which is quite a long way from me but they use a local estate agent as agents. its the company that's rang me and not the agent by the way.
now this property has damp issues, needs a new bathroom and kitchen, plastering, guttering's, and completely decorating.
for me its a pretty large job, the biggest job I've had so far was about 2k and I'm guessing (not seen it yet coz letting agent has lost keys) this is going to be quite a lot of money.

so what do you guys do? I've never asked for money up front before but im worried about forking out a lot of money for the bathroom suite and kitchen and then them being really slow at paying or even worse don't pay.

the agent didn't do anything to install confidence either when they had no idea where the keys were this morning :)

thoughts and any advice very welcome
thanks

Sponsored Links
Dont believe anything estate agents or letting agencies or agents for the above say. They lie for a living, its their greatest, & perhaps only, trained skill.

In your position, dont work for third parties - ever. How do you know who owns what unless you see their name on the deeds - stick with householders who live, or will live, in the property.

Even if you establish a relationship with a letting agency, the day will come when they bump you for a significant amount.
You, after long experience, can eventually establish yourself in control of whats what with these people but for your circumstances - give it a pass.

AAMOI: none of these people ever lose keys or papers etc. there is a cunning motive for all their actions.

The only recourse you have to regain money is to go Small Claims (forget about Higher Courts) but even then, you must be certain that they have the funds to pay any judgement. For £200 dont sweat it, maybe pass on with life.

FWIW: i dont take checks only bank transfers.

Spot on advice from Ree!

Letting agents and their ilk will start you off with smaller jobs and pay promptly until it comes to the bigger money jobs!

If you do take the job on, get money up front for the materials and if the jobs going to last more than a couple of weeks arrange staged payments for your labour.

Personally i wouldnt give them the time of day.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back