question on boilers

Looks like the battery needs to be changed in the room thermostat. Two AA are required.

Sponsored Links
Yeah we used two from the tv remote but it didn't make a change

yes it did and made no difference.

he changed the stat last night and the flame is still going out around 21-22 degrees. the pressure has also gone up a notch.

he is also being a right c u next tuesday as he said it was working when he was there and when his "plumber" was there.

he said hes returning the guide tonight for me to look at the programmer on the boiler to ensure there isnt a programme on it to tell it to switch off at 22 degrees over riding the room stat.

im seriously concerned with this. what are my rights can i call out british gas and deduct the fees from the rent? the place was meant to come with full working central heating. when i said to him i think the heating is running through the emersion alone and it will cost us more money he blanked me.

@agile. how would i go about fixing this as you have suggested?

Sponsored Links
i have noticed that even if i set the stat to 24 or 25 the flame goes out when it reaches about 21-22. this surely cant be normal?
If you mean the boiler goes out, this is because the water in the boiler has reached the set temperature; it has nothing to do with the house reaching temperature. You adjust the boiler water temperature by turning the right hand knob; try turning it fully clockwise.

The left hand knob controls the water temperature out of the tap. You seem to have it set fairly high at the moment. Try turning it down a bit (anticlockwise). This way you will not need to use so much cold water to get a usable temperature.

yes the flame on the boiler goes out at around 22 degrees (room stat temp)

i will try adjusting this as mentioned.

thank you i will post up and progress.

im still testing the heating after adjusting the dial(s)

im just concerned about the boilers pressure. its just above 2 and i bled the pressure in the radiators and it hasnt seemed to of dropped.

this hole place seems to be falling to pieces really. even when i bled the radiators the valves on two of the radiators just kept turning and arent sealed correcty imo.

i just cant be dealing with this i suffer with anxiety and stress

the clocks on those ideal mini's are absolute cr*p. I disconnected 2 just last week. Best thing to do is leave it disconnected and have the roomstat replaced with a programmable thermostat. The pressure needs addressing also as has been mentioned. Probably the expansion vessel is full of water and the PRV is done in, wouldnt be surprised if the last guy just left the filling loop cracked open. All pretty typical finds in LL properties, hence I don't work for Landlords, not worth the aggro.

oh yeh those honeywell dt90 stats can play up too. The relay goes in them.

how do we resolve the pressure if i have tried bleeding the radiators? is it going to go bang? i am actually really worried weve got a 19 months old kid in here.

should we just call british gas in they are our supplier and were just so worried

i appreciate all help thank you

dont worry, if the pressure goes over aprx 3bar it will eject water from a safety valve that should and probably does terminate outside. This will however cause your boiler to stop working once the system cools down. If you can see the pipe that goes outside, it would be a good idea to see if its dripping at all.

So if that was to happen how would I get it fixed again or is it gone forever then

Also I turnt the heating off as the pressure went to 3 now its dropped to 1.5

So if that was to happen how would I get it fixed again or is it gone forever then

Also I turnt the heating off as the pressure went to 3 now its dropped to 1.5

simple fix to repressurise the expansion vessel(I've done 3 today included in services) but then depends on how simple the engineer is and how tight the landlord is on how quickly and efficiently this gets done.
Whats funny is the landlord probably thinks he's saving money by using cheap labour but he'll just end up paying for more time spent on the job, whereas most of us would just service the boiler, repressurise the EV, maybe clean/replace the prv, disconnect the clock, fit a prog/stat, and likely not have to return for another year.

Thank you for all your help all I can say is there are kind people out there and people like him who just want money with no output or with as little work as possible.
he's he's going to call tomorrow to arrange a time for him and his engineer to come round

he said hes going to change the programmer on the boiler.

not sure what difference this will make but still im concerned about the pressure as it seems to shoot up when the heating is on.

when the heating is on the pressure shoots up. the flame isnt going out at a certain temp any more since adjusting the temperate dial on the boiler.

land lords being a right c u next tuesday lately and avoiding us completely. he also hasnt put our deposit in a secure holding account.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back