Question on Periodic inspections and part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you carry out a periodic inspection on a house without notifing the planning office or being a member of a compertant persons scheme

I think that you can because you aren't actually carrying out any work just inspecting an excisting installation hence not needing to notify could be wrong though :D

Sponsored Links
You can carry out an inspection if you consider yourself to be competent to carry out the inspection and to sign the resulting report.

If you are doing this work it is worth remembering that you are setting yourself up as the expert and can be called to account if what you state turns out to be wrong (like a surveyor).

You should look at taking out Professional Indeminity Insurance to cover you in this eventuality BUT many companies wont cover you unless they think you are competent (like having passed the C&G 2391).

If you have the part 1 and part 2 2361 I think does this make you comptent? Would you be covered with public liability insurance?

AFAIK C&G 2361 is a qualification in installation.

As carrying out a PIR is inspection and testing then I suspect that C&G 2391 would be required to prove competency as a testing and inspection bod.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure how you define competent when you're talking about doing PIRs.

IMO you need to have quite a lot of experience otherwise you don't know where to look for problems. You also need to have a very clear understanding of 7671 (and now the building regs) because you're inspecting against the document, not your opinion or your own interpretation.

If you've never done a PIR then IMO you should try to go out with someone who's doing them on a regular basis before you attempt to do one on your own.

There's a bit more to it than just filing out and issuing a certificate

fattony said:
Would you be covered with public liability insurance?
No.

PLI is for when you knock Aunty Mabel's prize Ming vase over.

PII is for when you fail to spot something wrong with Aunty Mabel's wiring, issue a PIR saying all is well, and then the old dear electrocutes herself.

Gaz. PIRs are absolutely nothing to do with the building regulations, which is what P is a Part of.

As others have implied though, if you need to ask this maybe you're not ready.

An inspector, undertaking PIRs should have an encyclopaedic knowledge of all the regulations that might apply, along with thorough knowledge and experience of inspecting and testing.

Should your advice be called into question a qualification will not be deemed sufficient in itself to prove competence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back