Question to my fellow Sparks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,
I've been out of the domestic scene for 10 years now (factory spark) and have a couple of Part P ish Q's.Some friends of ours are having some work done which I may or may not get roped into doing (time permitting)

The situation:-

They are having a new kitchen fitted but are on a tight budget ( :rolleyes: )

Here are some quick observations when I looked today -

-TN-S system, 16mm² tails, 6mm² maybe 10mm² earthing conductor
(not sure of main fuse rating)
- 6mm² MEB to gas.Not sure if water has been done (but probably 6 anyway)

- No earth in lighting circuits (no class 1 fittings apparent)

-Metalclad duel rate (2 main switches) Wylex CU with BS3036 fuses (storage heaters no longer fitted) but whole install swaps to E7 on signal from Sangamo mechanical timeswitch.

They want a new CU to be fitted and have budgeted for this (although I have advised about possible problems with old socket circuits on RCD which may entail more work)

If I carry out the work and get it inspected by LABC will they require the lighting re-wired or is it ok if noted about no class 1 fittings.I would obviously upgrade/install 10mm² MEBs to G+W and change main earth to 16mm² but will the tails be a problem.They have no electric shower (combi-boiler) and the new hob is gas so I don't think there is a problem if the main fuse is 60A.
I have advised the ideal scenario eg kitchen on its own ring, possible RCBOs (JohnD :D ) but as I've said minimum budget.

Even if the CU was not changed (even though it will be) would the bonding etc be picked up by the LABC inspection if the kitchen work were limited to moving sockets only.

Or am I reading to much into the competancy of LABC inspectors!!

Any opinions appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As I say to most people asking about BCO requirements:

your better off phoning and asking because some of them are just morons who have their own idea of the regs and have the power to enforce them even if you know better.

I've also heard that if you hold sufficient electrical qualifications they might not inspect it at all and just take your word for it. I'm not sure what these qualifications are (probably 2381) and I can't guarantee it will happen with every LABC but it's worth a phone call.

Also they are there to inspect what you have notified, so if you just add a new socket in the kitchen then they are only there to inspect that part of the installation and nothing else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back