Question!!!

It is a very important fact that in a legal document it is the actual words say which count and not "what they meant to say".

Its important for a good Solicitor to question apparently wrong words but the one thing he must NEVER do is assume any particular other intended meaning.

A tenancy agreement allowed the tenants to rent the property for three years. They also had an Option to purchase the property.

The Landlord assumed the Option was only at the END of the Tenancy. However because it was badly drafted the Tenant was able to exercise the Option to purchase at the end of the first year. That mistake cost the Landlord about £30,000 extra in taxation!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
It is a very important fact that in a legal document it is the actual words say which count and not "what they meant to say".
...unless the words are ambiguous, of course...

Softus said:

...in which case they are construed to the benefit of the party which did not draft them.

JohnD said:
Softus said:
...in which case they are construed to the benefit of the party which did not draft them.
Quite so, but I didn't want to smother Agile with real life.

Sponsored Links
In relation to my previous question I have just been informed today that there is in fact a typo and the question should read ' how to correctly knock a nail into a piece of wood' after i've just spent the last two weeks organising a presentation on effective communication.

So for all those who were right all along any help/advice you can give me on doing this 3 minute presentation would be very much appreciated seeing how i've now got 4 days!

Thanks

I once went on a three day presentation giving course and we each had to do a 15 minute presentation on the last day which was video recorded and publicly criticised.

I have forgotten what my topic was but I was successful with sleight of hand to make something at the front of the lecture room "disappear" and for a lady at the front to be accused of stealing it and to deny the theft only to find it inside her own bag.

Its quite easy to do that because the audience watch your mouth and not what your hands are doing!

Tony

Helpplease! said:
In relation to my previous question I have just been informed today that there is in fact a typo and the question should read ' how to correctly knock a nail into a piece of wood' after i've just spent the last two weeks organising a presentation on effective communication.

So for all those who were right all along any help/advice you can give me on doing this 3 minute presentation would be very much appreciated seeing how i've now got 4 days!

Thanks
If I were you I wouldn't change a thing! Nice surprise and something very refreshing for the 'panel' after they have sat through lots of knocking nails into wood!

You will have guessed that they don't really care about nails and wood.

They want to know if you can handle powerpoint/flipcharts/standing up/talking confidently/dealing with questions/keeping to the time allotted/keeping to the definition of what you are there for. I recommend that when you prepare your talk, you speak it - don't write it at first (spoken English is different from written English). Rehearse and time yourself. Be on top of your subject and any visual aids. Be friendly but businesslike and not casual. Take Flip-chart pens to explain points and in case the equipment fails.

Remember that your flips or slides are just signposts to your talk - put key points on them - not your text. Twenty words, a dozen words, five words plus the heading - that's what you want on each. Don't give then anything to read when they should be looking at you. If you have any handouts give them at the end to avoid that.

A few things people forget:

Introduce yourself

Ask them who they are (note it down on your table plan diagram so you can address them by name - otherwise you will forget)

Say why you're there

Tell then you will accept questions as you go (or at the end, whichever you decide) if you accept and deal with questions as you go, you will get a bit more participation - they may try to throw you off course - if so, say "that's a very interesting question. I'll be coming to that, so if i may, I'll check at the end if I've covered it to your satisfaction... AND WRITE IT DOWN ON A FLIPCHART OR SOMETHING SO THEY CAN SEE YOU AREN'T JUST PLANNING TO IGNORE IT

Some talks are to impart information (I think yours is ) many more are to request a decision or approval. Be aware of what the objective is; state and agree it at the beginning; confirm it at the end and ask for agreement that it has been achieved so you can do the next thing that was dependent on your successful presentation.

Be aware that the terms of reference are likely to include a timing e.g. "A five minute presentation on..." and that if you overrun you have failed to do what you were asked. As you only have 3 minutes incuding intro and questions you are not expected to cover much.

You will have planned the structure for your talk, you can put that up at the beginning if you like.

E.g:

__________________________________________10 Aug 2006

Ethelbert Blenkinsop

Presentation to selection board at R Swipes & Co

Subject: How to Knock Nails into wood

Structure:

• Introduction
    ToRs
    The problem
    Options
    Methods
    Recommendations
    Questions
    Conclusion

______________________________________________slide 1 of 6

Put up the question you were asked to address and check that that is the topic they are expecting and want to hear about.

When you've finished, check understanding "have I covered everything?... any further questions? No? Thankyou... then sit down and shut up.

One of the most important things I learnt on my presentation course was:-

You only have one chance to make a first impression !

I remember that every time I go to a new client!

Tony

Helpplease! said:

Thanks
Hi Helpplease. I (a bear of little brain) would suggest that as it has taken so long for the typo to be noticed that you carry on with the presentation you have already prepared but include make a point at or close to the end of said presentation that there was a typo (disputed!) right from the start! Hopefully this will allow you to make the question setter/ interpretor look complete idiots and alleviate you from having to do the whole thing again because of something that is their fault. You have obviously gone to alot of trouble based on the original question-stick with it! Make them look stoooopid! Let me know when you qualify as you surely will! I will be your first customer! Good Luck :D :D :D

Yes, they probably are stupid, to send out a document with an error in it AND to refuse to discuss it.

However pointing this out to them may not guarantee that they feel like offering you a job.

JohnD said:
Yes, they probably are stupid, to send out a document with an error in it AND to refuse to discuss it.

However pointing this out to them may not guarantee that they feel like offering you a job.
Point taken JohnD but at least you would have made it clear that you noticed. This would be a promising qualification for a solicitor particularly during court representations! :)

Nonono, Hairyjon, you are completely wrong! you must be an idiot to say a thing like that! you should be ashamed of yourself for being so stupid! You are an incompetent half-wit!

...oh, and will you give me a job please?

:LOL:

hairyjon said:
Helpplease! said:

Thanks
Hi Helpplease. I (a bear of little brain) would suggest that as it has taken so long for the typo to be noticed that you carry on with the presentation you have already prepared but include make a point at or close to the end of said presentation that there was a typo (disputed!) right from the start! Hopefully this will allow you to make the question setter/ interpretor look complete idiots and alleviate you from having to do the whole thing again because of something that is their fault. You have obviously gone to alot of trouble based on the original question-stick with it! Make them look stoooopid! Let me know when you qualify as you surely will! I will be your first customer! Good Luck :D :D :D

jon i would agree, youve spent a lot of time on knowing a nail, i think this will be more interesting than knocking and add at the end the error.I dont think they are interested in nailing anything. ;)

JohnD said:
Nonono, Hairyjon, you are completely wrong! you must be an idiot to say a thing like that! you should be ashamed of youself for being so stupid! You are an incompetent half-wit!

...oh, and will you give me a job please?
My wife has suspected this for 32 of the 32 years we've been married! But I do think that it's very important for them as what is acting on our behalf regarding the law (an ass, did I hear someone say?) to be quick of the mark and have an answer at a flick of the finger. No, sorry no vacancies at the moment, but would you prepare a 3 minute presentation on 'how to correctly srew a screw in' and your records will be put on file!!!! :D :D

Sponsored Links
Back