Questions about building regs - fire protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My building inspector recently visited my house to perform the final completion after my loft conversion.

His comments were as follows (plus my queries)

- He said i should board the 1st floor landing floor. He didn't specify at the time what thickness of board i should use. Anyone have any ideas?

- He stated that every single door in the house, including those on the ground floor should be changed to fire rated doors with bigger door stoppers. I was under the impression that you were permitted to leave the existing aspects of the house as they were, even if they were not building reg compliant. Does his requirement sound reasonable?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
He's permitted to ensure that the means of escape is fully compartmentalised and fire protected which is why I assume he's asked you to board the landing floor. It does seem an unusual request but why not just ask him what thickness of board he wants. Normally if you have tongue and grooved floorboards down, they would provide sufficient protection. I'm assuming there are gaps in the boards, hence his request.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back