Questions relating to extension, planning permissions and road noise!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of purchasing a 1970s bungalow. It was originally the ground keepers house for a gated community and a bunch of flats. I have some plans to do a single story extension, the current area is around 600 Sq foot and I want to increase it to around 1000 Sq foot. I plan to renovate it whilst living in my apartment for the next 12-18 months.

* Open up the ceiling in each room
* Put good quality insulation all external walls for sound / heating purposes.
* Floor to ceiling windows in the extension.

I have some questions, mostly related to road noise, it is around 20 meters from a reasonably busy B road so there is a constant noise of cars going past, there is currently a direct line of site to the main road to the property. There is also a forest / green area with a few trees with TPOs and a grassy area. Here is a general overview and a couple of videos of outside of the property and the forest area.

property.png

( Outside Bungalow )
( Forest Area )

1) So I have a couple of questions, firstly does anyone recommend anything for helping kill the sound dead. I have read about thick stone being the best way to completely block sound. And Gabion Walls being a fairly cost effective way? Does anyone have any thoughts and recommendations, this would ideally be around the wooded area.

2) There has been talk of the gate being moved back to the main road area for the flats anyway, is there any sensible way of getting a gate which has some sort of sound blocking or similar?

3) In regards to the extension itself, I will obviously need an architect / structural engineer. But is there a rough cost per square meter that an extension of this nature would typically cost, ie £1000 - 2000 per square meter?

4) With the current relaxing in planning permissions, I assume I could complete a modest one story extension without needing it. However given there are a number of trees around the area with Tree Protection Orders I guess that may mean I need planning permission for the whole thing?

Does anyone have any further thoughts or comments on this?

Sponsored Links
You can't kill sound dead only minimise it , the sound will carry over the stone wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back