Quick daft question about screwless switch covers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you remove them?

I've never worked with them before and I need to take one off to check the supply to it in a stately house that I have to look after as part of my job as the chandelier has never worked apparently (as long as the current staff have been there anyway).

I'm guessing they just clip on, but I didn't want to go and just start pulling on it without being sure.

I know it sounds stupid, I've just never seen one installed. :oops:

Sponsored Links
iirc, most of them will have a small slot on the bottom. Pry from there with a screwdriver.

Hi...do you know which brand of screwless product you are dealing with?

With regards to Legrand carp and similar, take a tub of One-Time filler and test-pot of emulsion...

Sponsored Links
Stately home...If it's old wiring, with a 'toggle' switch, there will be a round locknut around the switch itself to undo.

Brilliant, thanks for your help guys. I'll have another look on Monday when I'm next there. It had no logos on it so can't tell you what brand it is and I can't find anything similar in the E&E catalogue so not sure.

If it has the locknut, I'm guessing that infers there will be a "special tool" somewhere with which it needs to be removed...?

:LOL: Not so daft, i had the same situation and a very consciencous tennant who didnt want any damage causing. So i tried lifting twisting and levering the face plate no joy so then the same with in this case the rocker switch. Just got a bit of movement when the tennant started to panic.

Anyway cut a long story short in this case it was the rocker switch that clicked (very tightly) into place and when removed exposed the screws.

Probably totally irrelevant as yours has a lock nut, but you never know in the future this may come in handy.

If it has the locknut, I'm guessing that infers there will be a "special tool" somewhere with which it needs to be removed...?

Lol, no think 'locknut' in conduit terms, not 'nut with a lock on it' :)

I'll be back down there this afternoon for a proper gander, but I've got a funny feeling the toggle had a small ring around the base of it with two small opposing holes in each side. I'm just concerned this is a locknut type ring which screws onto a threaded outlet.

I don't know. I'll have a look this avo. It's not hugely urgent since it hasn't worked for years, so I'll try and take a photo this afternoon to get a better idea.

If that's the case, you may get the nut undone by hand, or with a pair of grips if you are careful.

There is a tool you can fit into the two holes, then turn.

Don't know what it's called.

That's what I used and the live out was loose and had come out of the terminal so job done.

Could do with a rewire tbh, but that's not my problem.

It was a locknut which held the faceplate on and the inner casing had two screws in either side which let me in. There was a special tool to unscrew the ring which was like a little spanner with two small points which fit into the holes to loosen but as usual, nobody knows where it is.

Cheers for the help guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back