Quick Fused Connection Unit query on a spur....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick query please guys...

I have a Spur coming off a Ring Main (Junction Box). This supplies a Switched, fused connection Unit which itself supplies a Alarm panel under some stairs.

I'm wanting to put a light source (2ft 18W Tube) in there with this Spur being the only real option.

Can I tag the supply for the light from the load on the FCU with the Alarm – if so down side to that is that the light can't be on with the Alarm off for any work on that.

Can another FCU be daisy chained from the “Supply” side of the current FCU – that would result in two FCU's on the Spur but allow each device (Alarm and light) to be isolated at each FCU ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply b-a-s's

Second option then - at least there will be a light source for working on the alarm

For the sake of asking could the Light be fed from the "Supply" side of the existing FCU but effectually making a direct connection the the ring with no protection other than the Ring MCB ?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
could the Light be fed from the "Supply" side of the existing FCU but effectually making a direct connection the the ring with no protection other than the Ring MCB ?
No, you should have an FCU for the light. You're going to need a switch anyway, so....

You need to change the switched FCU to an unswitched FCU for the alarm panel

I am assuming it is a burglar alarm and not a safety alarm (Fire / CO) so not required.
I would say it would be a nuisance if the RCD trips though as most alarms have battery backup and sounds on loss of power.

Thanks for the continued input.

Gteuk, just a burglar alarm however am now thinking of making that an unswitched FCU to avoid it being turned off unintentionally.

Feed to a switched FCU to act as switch for the light but alarm cab be isolated if need be for work.

Rgds
FF

I suspect that if you do not have an UNSWITCHED FCU, and with NOTHING ELSE connected to it that you will not be in compliance with BS EN 50131.

Crikey - thanks again for the input.

OK - was going to settle for:

Spur from a Ring - via a Junction box not a socket.

This Spur to lead to a unswitched FCU to avoid unintentional switch off which will provide a supply to a Burglar Alarm

Daisy chained from the unswitched FCU a Switched FCU which will provide a supply to, and act as a on/off switch for a 2ft/18W fluorescent tube.

Good to go ?

Rgds
FF

I suspect that if you do not have an UNSWITCHED FCU, and with NOTHING ELSE connected to it that you will not be in compliance with BS EN 50131.

That totally depends on the install method, the risk and who installed it ?? the standard is set to more high end alarm systems and not so much off the shelf products

As you have to get an FCU for the new light anyway, just fit an unswitched FCU for the panel and use the one you take off to control the new light.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back