Quick PAT question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a guy in today at work to do the annual PAT on all the equipment. I was asked to get it all together for him and while doing so noticed a few things we rarely use that I thought would be definite failures.
For example, 2 halogen site sets which didn't have lamps in them and didn't have the retaining screw in the lens's. A fast heat soldering iron which was loose in the casing, (the type that looks like a little water pistiol), and a solder pot with a damaged socket where the cable plugs in.
Finally a small 240v welding set,

After he had gone I was asked to put all the 'passed' equipment away and the failed stuff to one side for possible repair/replacement.

There were no failures!
He had passed everything!

Would you use any of the above equipment? I certainly won't and have advised the boss to scrap them off and get replacements. His answer was, "Well they've been passed off as safe so I don't see the problem."
He is not electrically minded by the way.

Any opinions welcomed, though I don't need them, just curious.

Sponsored Links
What is the yellow tape there for?

Was the a PAT specific company, paid by the unit kinda stuff?

Re some of the faults you describe, PAT testing is irrelevant - AFAIK every employee has a duty under H&S laws to carry out visual checks on all appliances before each use. Broken connectors, damaged cables with tape wound around them (I'm assuming it's not just decorative) and so on should be called out.

I suggest you write to the company that sent the tester and express your concerns.

Sponsored Links
I would have passed that welder on a visual.

Passed by you mean! :LOL:

He was from some firm in the midlands that another branch uses and charges by the item regardless of them passing or failing.

The yellow tape is apparently to hold the cable in place! (i.e. its the cable grip!)

Agreed BAS, every employee has a duty to inspect and check everything before putting it into use and if they are not sure they should seek assistance from someone who does know.
The welder was put into quarantine over 12 months ago by myself but I was told to get it out and get it tested, then 'when' it failed they could declare it as scrap. So much for that idea.

I have told the boss I will take some photo's tomorrow and to send them to the company stating that we will not pay for this visit as we are dis-satisfied with his testing methods/results and will use a local company to re-check everything, without imparting any information regarding this scenario, and see what results they get.

Based on this we will 'negotiate' a price for their visit.

It makes a mockery of all this H&S when people think they can just turn up and slap a few stickers on things. We are talking about peoples lives here, just because it may look ok on a visual inspection before use doesn't make it safe.

The tape is on a part of the machine which is an isolated supply not exceeding ELV. It is designed to be safe to touch whist the machine is in use, so what is the proplem with having a bit of tape to stop the handle from flapping about?

If you are really bothered you could put a new electrode holder on the end, but it's certainly not destined for the scrap bin.

It is still in working order but what you can't see from that pic is the state of the rest of the welding cable and the mains lead which had pvc tape wrapped around a split in the outer sheath. It is fixable, and probably at a 'not too expensive' cost, but what amazes me is that the guy passed it because it showed up ok on his tester. His visual examination obviously didn't count.
The solder pot socket was broken away around the edges, showed signs of scorching and the three pins were loose in the housing due to a crack in the moulding.
A label on the lights state that you must ensure the glass isn't damaged and securely fixed before using, no screw to hold the lens plate in place meant it was flapping about like a sail in the breeze.
The soldering iron has a small light on the body to show when the trigger is depressed, this didn't work, and fellas had said in the past that it seemed to be cutting out sometimes when they moved it in certain directions during soldering.

All in all, in my book, non of these items should have passed. Electrically they may have showed as ok but visually they clearly weren't.

Afaict the trouble with PAT testing is that to do it properly requires someone with both a good knowlage of the rules AND a good knowlage of the equipment under test. However in reality nearly all PAT testing is done by someone who has been on a short course and knows how to operate the tester but little more.

But if you've been on a course then surely they teach you about visual inspection as well?

The tape is on a part of the machine which is an isolated supply not exceeding ELV. It is designed to be safe to touch whist the machine is in use, so what is the proplem with having a bit of tape to stop the handle from flapping about?
A generic issue of inexpert repairs carried out? I take your point about the voltage (even though my welder has an 80V output option ;) )

If you are really bothered you could put a new electrode holder on the end, but it's certainly not destined for the scrap bin.
Indeed not, but I'm not sure it should be kept in service in its existing state.

Scrapping is good though - I have a very nice PL desk light which got binned at work because of a crack in the ballast wall-wart case :LOL:

See if they will pay you by the hour to repair it?

It is surprising how long some repairs can take?

Ay BAS ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back