Quick PAT question.

Looking at the pic of the welder, the tape has been wound round the output side of the welder. As long as the welder passes the PAT test for polarity, earth leakage etc it would be ok to use. PAT testing only tests the input side of electrics. Visual inspection, electrical testing, etc

Sponsored Links
The tape is on a part of the machine which is an isolated supply not exceeding ELV. It is designed to be safe to touch whist the machine is in use, so what is the proplem with having a bit of tape to stop the handle from flapping about?
A generic issue of inexpert repairs carried out? I take your point about the voltage (even though my welder has an 80V output option ;) )
AC or DC?

From what I can see on picture I don't think I would fail the welder. The tape we can see is on low voltage side. If as you say there is a taped repair where we can't see then maybe it should fail.

It is a hard call sometimes and I have been pulled over the coals for failing grinders with guards missing and was told that bits not electrical. So had to re-test them. So then I failed the whole lot as on/off switch could be latched. That was electrical. It had the desired effect I was not asked to PAT test again. And it is a mindless job.

And really one can't win. At University we had a cupboard full of PLC's all Alan Bradley 230vac and the instruction book very clearly stated they needed to be installed in an enclosure as the size of cooling slots and way you could access supply cable terminals did not comply with BS7671 and IP rating etc. Clearly while used by University Students there was not a problem. One would hope they have some sense. But left out to run a demonstration during open day with school children milling around everywhere was another story.

The guy who PAT tested them had never seen kids on an open day. And to be fair there was big notice on door about authorised persons etc.

Down to nitty gritty any item taken out of service should be listed on form V1.5 Faulty equipment register and once repaired it should then appear on form V1.4 Repair register and of course all equipment should be entered onto form V1.1 Equipment register. And in real terms to say it was taken out of service and then admit it was not recorded on form V1.5 would place yourself in a poor position. And yes the last three jobs I have had these were filled in and all archived. It is the responsibly of the manager who often is not the tester two different exam papers.

In other words let him without sin cast the first stone. I would be wary of poking my nose in as also remember ALL heath and safety reports MUST be in writing. An email is OK even a post-it note. But I know there have been times I have just told my foreman without filling in a written report. Which means if anyone is injured one has to keep silent. Tell anyone you knew it was faulty and you didn't send in written report and you may be the one in court.

I advise you to tread very carefully. When what you call it hits the fan it tends to spread out a bit.

It is a hard call sometimes and I have been pulled over the coals for failing grinders with guards missing and was told that bits not electrical. So had to re-test them. So then I failed the whole lot as on/off switch could be latched. That was electrical. It had the desired effect I was not asked to PAT test again. And it is a mindless job.
I would have re-tested them and failed them again on visual. Missing guards is a definate fail in my eyes, and in the eyes of the law (PUWER).

Sponsored Links
I feel it's quite funny that the electricians on this forum are quick to jump on someone if they forget to add a bit of earth sleeving or omit or grommet from a backbox, yet have no issues arguing that a welder bodged together with a bit of tape is safe.

When you guys passed your multiple choice exams was there a section on being generally awkward wherever absolutely possible. :LOL:

Hi
Visual inspection is the first part of any test if it fails any part of the visual IE case cord & fuse the test ends there with a fail No argument no procedeing with test its a fail and to make sure no one uses it I cut the cord off otherwise some smart arse will remove the fail lable and use it
Mac

I did a PAT test course about 18 months ago, there were twelve of us altogether, everyone passed, even though there was only three people that actually understood what was being taught. The answers were on a card, all you had to do was remember which colours answered which questions. Worthless certificate IMO.

HI I did mine 3 year ago at local college a C&G course over 2 days with test on day 2 it was an open book test but even though it was maybe a better quality course than the one you were on you will learn more the more testing you do and many sparks will beof the opinion that it is dull and boring and not real sparky food in my case it pays damn good monet and generates loads of repair work
Mac

E-mail has been sent and now awaiting response from other company.

Regarding the cutting off of the plug, I was going to do that today till my team leader said leave it on as if you cut it off they may say that wasn't the one on there. Good point.
More photo's have also been taken of the cable and clamp hoder, solder pot and soldering iron and some 'macro' (?) ones of the lights showing corrosion on the threads where the screw should be.
I've asked about claiming the welder afterwards as a 'home repair' project and been told once it goes in the scrap its anyones who wants it.
Guess who will be putting it in the skip with one hand and removing with the other? :LOL:

Thanks for the comments lads.
Oh yes, I have had to write a report stating why I think they should never have passed the test in the condition that they are in, this is why more photo's have been taken, to back up my claims. They have also been put in quarantine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back