Quick question about roof tiles and soffit overhang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently having an extension on my property.

A quick question relating to the roof tiles where they overhang the soffit.

Underneath my existing roof (on the older part of my property) the overhang is a kind of thin Grey cement strip which overhangs by approx 50mm. The tiles then align with this and are filled in with mortar.
The entire edge of the tiles are all square to each other following the soffit all the way up to the pitch and back down with the same equal 50mm distance.

When this row of tiles are fitted are they special tiles? or normal tiles that are then cut to align with the soffit strip?

???

:?:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Underneath my existing roof (on the older part of my property) the overhang is a kind of thin Grey cement strip which overhangs by approx 50mm. The tiles then align with this and are filled in with mortar.
The entire edge of the tiles are all square to each other following the soffit all the way up to the pitch and back down with the same equal 50mm distance.

Confusing :confused:

Reading it again (sober) me thinks it is now the cloak overhang as assumed by others. :LOL:

"Real" roof tilers start with a cut & finish with a full tile.
Any deviations from square can be concealed by stretching or shutting the horizontal guage.Its very rare on verge to verge roofs to use a full tile right through.If you own a verge to verge property you can tell whether a proper roof tiler did it or a kid on one whether the cut is on the right hand side as against the left.Its called fibre cement verge nowadays but used to be made from asbestos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back