Gable to gable roof detail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am nearly ready to start the roof on my extension and just wanted to get the installation clear in my head. I'm fairly confident about installing the wall plate, trusses, strapping and even things like membrane, battens etc.

The part i'm trying to get my head around is the detail where the ridge of the smaller roof joins the underside of the larger roof. See my pic...

roof.jpg

The overhang of the larger roof (soffit) is 300mm.

Do the ridge tiles for the smaller roof start from the bargeboard or should they go under the overhang of the larger roof?

Is there a preferred way of creating a seal between the ridge tile and the bargeboard?

Hope i've explained that properly!

Sponsored Links
You cut back the verge, barge and soffit of the taller building. The low roof coverings then need to abut the taller building along with the flashings etc. You then reinstate the soffit and barge so that it just touches the lower roof items i.e. ridge, flashing, tiles etc.

Last edited:
Oh look, here's one we made earlier......

I'm pretty certain that the ridge tile had to finish shy of the building because it clashes with the tile above on the other side. However, the lead saddle covers the peak. (y)

Last edited:
I see, so i didn't think about the lead saddle, didn't think i'd need it as it's well under the larger roof although that would make sense now. Thank you noseall.

Sponsored Links
Oh look, here's one we made earlier......

I'm pretty certain that the ridge tile had to finish shy of the building because it clashes with the tile above on the other side. However, the lead saddle covers the peak. (y)
@noseall Hi, do you have any pics of the lead detail for the ridge where it meets the original roof tiles?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back