quick question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a extension lead with an 8 gang plug plugged into 1 main socket.
wondering how many applicances/watts/amps can i run safely?

i fiquired i cant go over 13A, i have also one of those plug-in meter that tells you stuff... I use around 7a i think.

i think i use about 3.5kW, its never gone on fire but should i buy something like a RCD for safe?

thanks for help dave

Sponsored Links
any advice please?
i'm not wiring anything, i just want to be aware of a fire risk or something.
even though my house has a RCD, do i need to aquire alternative hardware?

Hi Dave9,
If it has a 13A fuse in the plug which is inserted into the socket in the wall you have nothing to worry about. If you overload the extension then the plug fuse will protect you. If the house RCD protects this circuit it will protect the extension, but an RCD will not prevent overload problems anyway. If you're using 7A then you're way off the 3.5kW you mention so you sound safe enough.
V

The multiway adaptor has a plug on the end, which is fused at 13Amps, so if you did try to overload it, the fuse would blow. So you aren't at risk of overload.

However, it might mean you have insufficient "proper" sockets in the room, unless you are using it to feed a HI shelf, when a multiway is very common to feed the amp/tuner/CD/MP3/Minidisk/active bass array.

Try not to plug a washing machine, tumble drier or electric heater into it.

Use an RCD for outdoor appliances, or wet/damp areas.

edited to say, Quick Typing, Viewer! ;)

Sponsored Links
cool, thanks for advice guys

JohnD: I'm using a oil radiator (800w), will this be a problem with the gang or are they different to electric heaters?

should I give the rad its own direct electrcity feed or will i be alright with the gang plug?

thanks alot :)

(ps, if someone could please answer this: I heard thats its not wise to use plug-timers for heaters, what do u think ?
i have a mechnical timer & not electronic (not sure if they're dif)

thx

An oil radiator is an electric heater. Its a tank of oil with an electric heater in the bottom . . . :rolleyes:

Most plug in timers are rated to 3kw. So I wouldn't worry, though the contacts might wear out quicker if they are regularly switched under load.

I was thinking of a 3kW heater, whicjh would use almost the entire capacity of the adaptor, so would be better in a socket of its own. 800W isn't that much.

niiice, thanks crafty and everyone.
yeh johnd, its a mini caravan rad... sry i forgot to mention it in my first post above^.

i have another question, sorrrrrry...

Ok - I wired a honeywell thermostat to a 125w tube heater, worked nicely for months (still does) (i got the guide from here i think), anyways I wish to add one to my rad.... does anyone know how much power these honeywell thermostats can take? doesn't say on it.

last question i promise, appreciate the advice too, thanks for that.

edit... spelling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back