Quick skirting question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I've (DIYer) been fitting some skirting boards on my landing and notice an area where a section of the floorboards are uneven.

As you can see from the picture the floor is out in the middle of the length raising either side by 9mm. The returns on either side are fairly short (around 50cm) to meet architrave and top stair.

I was wondering if 9mm would be considered ok given that carpet and underlay is going down?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
is the bit on the right fixed in yet??

Not yet, the scribe is cut and in the picture the board on the right has been propped up to meet the elevated 9mm end. It does look slightly lower on the pic which wouldn't be good if secured.

i would personally scribe 80% out assuming theres no dips further round to increase the gap

Sponsored Links
on that specific scribe a hand saw as its long sweeping gentle curves that are perfect for a hand saw

What i used to do, provided the Skirting was not massivly thick was to place a thick broad board on top of the skirting you were fixing, then stand or kneel on the board, the result is that the skirting is pushed down on to the flooring.

Then fix the mid section

Now get a mate [heavier than you]if needed both stand on the board that is placed against the top of the skirting to push down the remaining [loose] end of the skirting.

Not elegant but it did work the gaps were if not eliminated certainly reduced dramatically, combined with some scribing it worked, especially on a site somewhere and you were making a bonus out of it?

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back