Quote for replacing heat exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I bought the item myself, thinking I could fit it but reality is I can't.
I have a company lined up to fit it and will probably go ahead as my experience with their initial call out is good . I don't want to go round getting lots of other quotes however I was always taught not to accept one quote. So all I want from you guys is a ball park figure. Is £400 all in reasonable.
Thanks in advance for any reassurances you can give.

Sponsored Links
For certain boilers that might be very cheap for others very expensive!

Please let us know what the one that need one fitting to is?

Thanks for replying
It's a Biasi
M96 28SM/C2
And it's about 12yrs old
Thanks
The reason I can't possibly do it is that the part seems to be located behind other stuff and so I'm imagining other stuff will have to be taken apart.
I suppose it's like changing a car clutch. Easy hard depending on location.

£400?! You could probably get a fixed-price repair from Biasi for less than that!

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I'll also contact Biasi.
Trouble is, let's say they ll do it for less. But can't come as quick as the other firm
I know you can't say for sure, but how much over do you think 400 is?

for another £100 you could get a much better boiler with a very long warranty, I wouldnt be throwing that money at the boiler you have

Gosh thank you.
I assumed a new fitted boiler would be in the thousands though. Am I wrong?.

Just had a look and you're right. However what power rating do I need. The present one is a combi serving 3 bed semi detached.

Gosh thank you.
I assumed a new fitted boiler would be in the thousands though. Am I wrong?.
yes that is the trouble certain boiler wont be much dearer to buy than this repair but when you add on fitting then yes it does become dearer but no way would i be spending that sort of money on a pile of shyte biassa

I see. I'll have to weigh it all up.
Thanks very much (and I don't mind your honesty!)

Hi
having taken your advice, I have contacted Biasi direct but they have just asked for my postcode and will refer me to someone local (could be same firm). Am also looking at a new one.
In the meantime please could I have a final bit of advice
The bigger story is this..
Since before Christmas I suspected heat exchanger because of inconsistent temp
Then a week or so ago, boiler kept tripping
The engineer has done the following: set the divertor permanently to water, not heating. So that it doesn't trip
It turns out the quote is just to replace heat exchanger, which they say is not the cause of tripping. They cannot diagnose the other problem until it stops tripping. Leaving me in a catch 22 situation. No way am I paying £400, when I still wont have heating!
Anyway here is my question. The water on its own does seem better so maybe the heat exchanger is more blocked in terms of heating circuit. If I give the system a good flush ie draining, refilling, having mains pressure shooting through etc, could this be beneficial
I assume I could find out how to switch divertor on (?). I have taken cover off myself and have successfully fitted a thermostat in the past. I would need to find out what the divertor is. Anyway is this worth trying. My area is rural and getting someone out isn't always easy. Also I think they can pick and choose their jobs. My job probably isn't that inviting. Anyway is it worth an amateur like me doing a flush as best I can
Thanks

Anyway is it worth an amateur like me doing a flush as best I can
Thanks

It certainly is worth doing and ought to (at least) be done anyway, if a new boiler or heat exchanger is fitted anyway. Depending on the results of the flushing, it might be worth taking the radiators outside for individual forward and reverse flushing, plus ensuring all pipework is clear and flushed through.

When work is all completed, ensure the system has inhibiter installed.

ok, thanks.
Update to anyone following this.
It seems there was an admin error and the quote includes a new divertor valve, so the job has now become more viable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back