Quote for work needed for EV charger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need an EV charger fitted and need some work done to make it viable. I have a detached garage with it's own consumer unit run from the house consumer unit as per the photo's. I've had a quote for the work which includes the following:
1. Move garage supply on to 40a mcb feed to the none RCD side of house fuse board.

2. Remove all mcbs from garage fuse board and replace with rcbos with 1 new 32a mcb for EV charger.

3. Certification for garage feed and garage fuse board with new rcbos.

I have priced the RCBO's myself and they are not that expensive unless I'm looking at the wrong ones but the quote is £374 + VAT, before I go getting more quotes I'm just wondering what the electricians on here would be quoting for that kind of work please?

Attachments

• 20211222_074531.jpg
    20211222_074531.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 20211222_074726.jpg
    20211222_074726.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
It doesn’t seem unreasonable for that work with its safety implications. Would it be better vfm to get a single quote for all the work?

Blup

A circuit for a 32A/7.5kW EV charger should really have a 40A MCB. manufacturers' instructions for many EV chargers specify this. It's not a good ideas to run an MCB at full specified current for long periods.
The cost seems entirely reasonable.

Sponsored Links
It's not unusual for even professional electricians to refer to CU's as fuse boards, the older customer often understands the term better.

Blup

Just to confuse things there's a company called Fusebox that produces 18th edition consumer units.

Blup

An EV charger can have loss of PEN detection, 6 mA DC detection and a RCD type A built in, or it can required the protection external, so cost to fit a supply to an EV charging point will depend on charging point used, but figure quoted seems reasonable.

You are gonna need 4 or 5 rcbos, crabtree are around £25 or 30 each. So thats up to £150 in parts there straight away.

Within reason, you will get what you paid for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back