Quote help for some electrical work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got to put out a job for the following:
Replace 4 x existing internal ceiling lights with different ceiling lights
(1 x kitchen ceiling, 1 x hallway ceiling, 2 x living room ceiling)
Replace 1 x existing exterior PIR wall light with a different wall light.

No requirements to move/re-site any of these lights. All replacement light fittings and bulbs provided.

I'm in the West Midlands.

What would be a rough guide to how much this should cost, can anyone advise me??

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There are too many variables on a job like this
Are you supplying the fittings?
Are they suitable for the wiring that is there? (eg Class I fittings, adequate & connected earth.....)
Is the existing wiring and switches serviceable?
etc
etc

You need someone, on site to say, yeah mate, i could do it for £xxx

Yes I think I said I was supplying the replacement light fittings - remove one, replace with new one.
Yes the existing wiring and switches are serviceable.
Let's assume that they are suitable for the wiring that is there (whether it is or not).

The next step you say is the one I'm worried out. The yeah mate 'I could do it for £' bit, that's why I'm posting on here. Because there's a risk that it won't be 'I could do it for £ mate', it'll be 'I could do it for £££££££££££ love'! You see what I mean?!

So, I'm simply wanting to know if someone quoted me £700 for this it would be laughably ridiculous, that's where I'm coming from.

Not trying to be unhelpful
There’s an often used saying
“If I cant see it, I can’t quote it”

So, let say you choose some light fittings, and they need a protective earth. Let’s say that the numpty who put up the existing lights either didn’t bother with, or cut back the earth connection. Now you are looking at double the time, maybe more, taking up floorboards in the room above, additional cabling etc etc.

In my opinion £750 would be way over the top. Budget what it might cost you for a night away somewhere with dinner for two.

But I couldn’t tell you if we are talking about a Premier Inn or Clivden.

Get quotes. Choose. Sorted.

New pendant or Delboy's chandelier???
Quite so - that's obviously a major part of the question.

If it were literally a case of removing two or three screws to remove each existing light fitting, screwing a new one in place and then connecting it to existing usable cables, then it would be a trivial job -might not take more than an hour or so to do all five. However, the moment it gets more complicated than that (modifying holes in ceilings, making good, new cabling etc. etc.) hours could turn into days.

Maybe some photos of 'now' and what the OP wants to fit might give us a better clue (although obviously not all the information we would need to be able to even start to estimate time/cost with any accuracy)?

Kind Regards, John

And 'a couple of hours maximum' - again, what would this equate to in £££s?

They are already assembled, fully functioning lights.
You will probably find once unboxed there is actually some assembly required. Also what do they weigh and how bulky are they? These fittings typically take a fair amount of work to erect.

And 'a couple of hours maximum' - again, what would this equate to in £££s?
Certainly not £700 :)

Think of what you believe an electrician would reasonably deserve to get into his/her pocket (before deducting Tax/NI) for a couple of hours' work (plus time travelling), then at least double it (many people don't seem to understand about 'overheads!), and then add 20% if the person is VAT-registered.

Assuming you do that 'reasonably', it could be said that anyone asking for a lot more than the figure you come up with would, at least in your eyes, not be 'reasonable'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back