R-reg Ford Mondeo battery probs......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
........Y'aright I'm a new one so Hello before I ask for help!

Cool, I need a hand guys

Got a Verona Mondeo 98 plate and had major probs with my Air Con..Basically the whole air con system siezed at the bottom pulley.

I have bought a new shorter drivebelt and replace my old one so I now completely miss out the drive on the Air Con.

Everything fine and dandy, I thought, but now I am having major problems with my battery (which is new/ 4 months old) that is going flat after three or four hours of non use of the car.

Also the Air Con fan on the front grill is spinning non-stop - thinking this was my answer I disconected this. However I am still getting a flat bettery, as above.

Is this at all linked? and has anyone got any ideas what I can do to sort it?

Due to drive to Wales on Sunday, from Scotland, and have a young family to account for. I can jump start and once running the car has no other problems.

Sponsored Links
If you've bypassed one of the pulleys, is the alternator still driving in the right direction?

If you've bypassed one of the pulleys, is the alternator still driving in the right direction?

Yeah, the bottom pulley is bypassed.
The mondeo mk2 was also done without Air Con so the bottom pulley is basically just added on to the crank. The belt is longer for the Air Con models .......but don't know how to describe it!

i would first test the alty to see if its charging,if it is then a test to see how much juice is being pulled from the battery when the car is sat doing nothing to determine the drain

Sponsored Links
i would first test the alty to see if its charging,if it is then a test to see how much juice is being pulled from the battery when the car is sat doing nothing to determine the drain

Took a trip to Kwik Fit, alternator and battery fine......advised me to go to an auto electrician. Can't really fford it just now, need to get to Wales....once running the car is fine and battery will stay charged so should be ok for the journey yeah?

The air con pulley should free wheel as it is on an electromagnetic cluch which only "drops in" when the engine is running and system pressure requires topping up, it could be that the control relay has stuck causing the clutch to be permenantly engaged (which would also sieze the pump). To try this theory you should find and disconnect the two wires going to the air con pump which are probably underneath were they are difficult to see. Hope you get this in time for the trip.

Back