Rad sizes and regs

In which case - its not the end of the world to shell out for some beefier rads here and there.

Sponsored Links
motorbiking said:
Can you explain how? That would seem to be 0.5kw of free energy.
When the room temperature is 0°C the water leaving the radiator is cooler than it would be if the room temperature was 20°C.
The water will give up more heat energy to the room at 0°C than it will to the room at 20°C

Last edited:
There is no specific building regulation requirement, other than a tenuous link to Part L in that the system should be efficient so as not to use more energy than necessary to heat the property.

If the build was done under the NHBC, then section 8.1 will apply and this specifies performance requirements of the system, and this will link with
BS EN 12828:2003 for the system design and performance standards - and this would be the reference point for an independant claim under the purchase contract.

As an aside, when I added a highly insulated extension a few years back, I was surprised on just how small the radiator was compared to the large radiators in the smaller existing rooms, and yet the room is the warmest despite the radiator calling for heat the least.

Sponsored Links
Can you explain how? That would seem to be 0.5kw of free energy. Or are you saying its able to radiate 1.5kw of energy against a rating of 1kw, rather than turn 1kw in to 1.5kw.
Your second suggestion is correct: it's radiating 1.5kw against a 1kW rating;it's not "free" energy. The extra 0.5kW comes from the water, so the boiler has to produce an extra 500W -if that is possible. Thats why rads have to be tested under specified conditions: it ensures a level playing field. Some unscrupulous retailers were, until recently, quoting rad outputs using the pre-1997 Standard as it gave the impression that their radiators gave out more heat.

I should point out that this is a theoretical calculation of the output a "one kilowatt" radiator would produce at a constant room temperature of 0C.

As I said earlier, a radiator is not like an electric fire which gives off a constant amount of heat. The heat output of a radiator is determined by three temperatures: flow, return and air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back