Radial damp patch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Ive noticed a perfect radial damp patch behind the air source heat pump.

The wall is plastered breeze block. The damp is penetrating into the garage.

thumbnail_IMG_4320.jpg

At first I thought it was because of the leaking gutter above it, but actually its probably where the pipes from the pump enter the wall? That seem to be where the damp patch is eminating from.

What do you think? Ive got some Stormdry somewhere. Do you think that would help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Leaks from a single point - like pipes through walls create elliptical damp patterns.

The bigger the leak the higher the damp.

That makes sense.
I would be amazed (and angry) if that pipe is leaking as it was only installed 2 years ago.
Cheers

Ive cleared space in the inside to allow some air movement in an attempt to dry the area out. The pipes that enter the wall are bone dry - no sign of damp.

thumbnail_IMG_4321.jpg

During the summer I put compost bins against the wall. I dont think thats helping matters and not allowing the damp to evaporate.

thumbnail_IMG_4323.jpg

As I say, pipes arent leeking.

Right above this point there has been a leeky gutter (which I fixed yesterday). But surely it wouldnt have caused this? Unless maybe it was splashing into where the pipes enter the wall. But the leeky from the gutter wasnt that bad. It was just a dripping.

thumbnail_IMG_4324.jpg

There are no other water pipes closeby in the ground.

Sponsored Links
The pipes aren’t centred to the radial patch so I’d not look at that first.

Depending on how big the gutter leak was, and thus the splashing, it could be the cause. You don’t have 150mm between the floor and your render bottom by the looks of it, so could also contribute

Was the bucket always there? That looks to be the epicentre, especially with the fungus. I’d remove or empty that for a start

Just taken a photo. Admittedly, it was sunny/windy yesterday so that would have had a drying effect, but it looks like its getting better? (You can see the tide lines)

thumbnail_IMG_4343.jpg

Water needs pressure to push it up a wall. Just soaking up by capillarity means it won't go up that far.

What is in those two pipes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back