Radiator earth bond

Why do the likes of Screwfix stock radiator earth clips if the industry deems radiator earth bonding unnecessary?

Sponsored Links
I suppose the changing/shower room in a gym would have to more stringent?

The physics is the same.

If the radiator pipes have to be bonded BECAUSE they are earthed somewhere, then the radiator will also be bonded because it is electrically connected to the pipes.

That people do not know what they are doing and make or use an unnecessary clamp is irrelevant.

Sponsored Links
Would the pipes still be well-connected if they were attached with compression fittings wrapped up in PTFE tape?

Very probably. Does it matter?

People seem to be forgetting that the OP was told the radiator does not need the clip/clamp that was there.
He can take it off and paint it to his heart's content.
That was the answer to his question.

He then said he was going to test for continuity between the two pipes with his multimeter.
We do not have that result.

This has led to all sorts of strange suggestions which have caused all sorts of strange diversions unrelated to the original question.

Would the pipes still be well-connected if they were attached with compression fittings wrapped up in PTFE tape?

Compression fittings don't need PTFE tape. But there are as many cowboys in plumbing as elsewhere. But I guess it would be sufficiently broken up to still be well connected.

Compression fittings don't need PTFE tape. But there are as many cowboys in plumbing as elsewhere. But I guess it would be sufficiently broken up to still be well connected.

The radiator tails certainly need PTFE tape or cord (y)

Not if they are compression fittings.

I've never come across radiator tails that are anything other than threaded fittings.

Either way, this is all basically irrelevant

Last edited:
What is it with this thread? You've done it again.

Secure wrote:
Winston correctly replied:
Then:
The radiator tails certainly need PTFE tape or cord (y)
And:
Not if they are compression fittings.

Radiator tails have two ends.

Radiator tails have two ends.

The tail would refer to the part which connects to the radiator. If you can get PTFE tape on the compression joint between the tail and the valve that would be impressive as they are quite different to a normal compression joint. This is all still irrelevant though.

Attachments

• radTail.png
    radTail.png
    123.1 KB · Views: 51

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back