Radiator is using more water than before

Sponsored Links
Yes, but the other two radiators give consistent readings. Not 100% the same every time, but close enough. The radiator in question also has the same consistency.
The meter is either faulty or it isn't, it doesn't matter which rad is being used.

the radiator showed up as using 100 units for 20 minutes. Now, it's saying 200.
What units are they, m3? 100 units in 20 minutes = 300m3/h, at ~ 11 kWh/m3 is 3300 kW! Perhaps you're figures include after the decimal point, 33 kW is at least in the right area. 200 units in 20 minutes = 66 kW which is almost certainly too high.

Maybe his radiators are electric panel heaters and he is very confused.

There is no correlation between how many radiators are on and how much gas the boiler uses, none, zero, nill.

Last edited:
Eon say a smart meter is needed/it's a fault on their end/whatever the customer service rep I speak to at the time feels like saying the reason is. I'm currently waiting for them to call me to explain why my meter is giving me faulty readings and to book a smart meter appointment.
They are lying. A smart meter does not affect consumption. Don’t have one.

All these companies consistently lie to get customers to have so called smart meters.

The biggest lie is that they are free. Everything pays for them through bigger bills.

Sponsored Links
Yes you are being paranoid and whilst you may have all the right numbers I fear you are using them in all the wrong manner. (y)

The meter is either faulty or it isn't, it doesn't matter which rad is being used.

What units are they, m3? 100 units in 20 minutes = 300m3/h, at ~ 11 kWh/m3 is 3300 kW! Perhaps you're figures include after the decimal point, 33 kW is at least in the right area. 200 units in 20 minutes = 66 kW which is almost certainly too high.

So, if it's only the one radiator that is providing incorrect readings, that would mean the fault lies with the radiator and not the meter?

Yes, m3. When I say a ''unit'' I mean the red numbers going from 000 to 999 and 999 being a single unit, as when it gets to 999, the non red numbers will go up by one. So running one radiator, the one I'm having problems with previously, for twenty minutes, would be 200 in the red area, so a fifth of a ''unit''. Now, it's around 280 every time.

So it appears to have increased by 20% ?

Edit: when I wrote that, the post above said 240 where it now says 280.

Last edited:
So running one radiator, the one I'm having problems with previously, for twenty minutes, would be 200 in the red area, so a fifth of a ''unit''. Now, it's around 280 every time.
You said in your first post it used to be 100 and now it's 200. Now you're saying it used to be 200 but now it's 280. Which is it?

I never said it was 100, 100 was just to give an idea of what I meant by an increase.

Why do people think this is a wind up? It's only gone on so long because nobody knows the answer.

I never said it was 100, 100 was just to give an idea of what I meant by an increase.

Why do people think this is a wind up? It's only gone on so long because nobody knows the answer.

Rather like they didn't know why your window was causing your your wall to make noises.

Given that, by your own assessment, "nobody knows the answer", why do you keep on? Why not post your content on Mumsnet, or suchlike? They've got some gullible individuals that you can string along.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back