Radiator not getting hot (tried the usual solutions)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Rad in conservatory not getting hot. Have tried the usual bleed (a plumber advised me to unscrew the whole nut (not chocolate) off to force water through. I done this (and got bloody soaked as well) and the radiator indeed got hot for a short while then went back to Luke warm. Rad in question has been tee'd off from rad in dining room. If I turn dining room rad off the conservatory rad gets hot. Unfortunately dining room too cold to do this. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Try balancing these two rads......turn the dining room one off, and then just crack it open - and try the same with the conservatory one.
See what happens then.
John :)

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. I have done this before but am doing again now and the result is that they both get Luke warm. No matter how I balance them the minute I crack open the dining room rad the other drops significantly. It tends to only work when the dining room rad is off completely

Sponsored Links
Yes it is bud
Each size of pipe work has a limit to the number and size of rads it can heat
Is there any way some of the pipe work can be replaced with 15 mm pipe?

All the pipes are in the wall. The rad in question I've just noticed is the only rad in the house that has the trv at the furthest end of the rad....would that make a difference?

Going to be one or the other or both tepid I'm afraid. Microbore is designed to run to one radiator off a manifold. Need to get your conservatory feed back up to the 22mm flow and return.

what do you mean tee'd off the other rad in dining room? is it not feed from the main pipes running from the boiler?

If it works when the other rad is off there is no problem with the connections or radiator other than the conservatory radiator should not have been teed into a 10 mm pipe.
I lost loads of conservatory jobs because I was honest and said it wouldn't work. Then some bloke I wearing a Stetson said it was okay!
Halving my price.
You get what you pay for.
Jeff

If it works when the other rad is off there is no problem with the connections or radiator other than the conservatory radiator should not have been teed into a 10 mm pipe.
I lost loads of conservatory jobs because I was honest and said it wouldn't work. Then some bloke I wearing a Stetson said it was okay!
Halving my price.
You get what you pay for.
Jeff

My OHs aunty asked me to fit a designer rad in a conservatory. Microbore pipes so said I'd have to find the manifold etc and run new pipe work to it. Priced it up and she would let me know. I did it cheap too.
Local plumber undercut me and tee'd off the dining room pipes.

They rang me when they couldn't get it to work. Loved saying told you so :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back