Radiator Not Warming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The radiator in my hallway is not warming and wondered what could be wrong. The hall has the thermostat and so the radiator doesn't have a TRV. The valve is fully open and there is no air in the radiator.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The radiator in my hallway is not warming and wondered what could be wrong. The hall has the thermostat and so the radiator doesn't have a TRV. The valve is fully open and there is no air in the radiator.
Does that mean the boiler is running continuously as the thermostat never gets up to the set temperature?

Does the pipe into the rad feel hot? If so, try opening the lockshield valve (other end of rad from the control valve) about half a turn.

When you have solved the problem, you need to make sure that the hall is not heating up so quickly, that the hall stat shuts the boiler off before the TRVs have worked in the other rooms. You do this by closing down the control valve on the hall rad, the hall will then heat up slower. It's a "try it and see" operation.

I am not sure how old the valve is as I only moved in in June but the house is 8 years old. However, the system may have been replaced in 2005 - certainly, the hot water tank is dated from then. So the valve is possibly between 3 and 8 years old.

I have not felt the pipes to check the incoming water temperature. I will check tonight.

The boiler does come on and off as I would expect - so the rest of the house is OK. Just that SWMBO was complaining that the hall is cold.

Sponsored Links
Maybe its not the valve, maybe the installer didn't put in inhibitor and your rad is sludged?

Is the whole rad stone cold, or a tiny bit warm at the top?

make sure both valves are fully open if the rad still does not warm up turn off the rest of the rads and force the heat into this rad which should force any air in pipework out of the way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back