Radiator only hot at the top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've found lots of advice for radiators that don't work at all but how about ones that only get hot at the top???

The rest of the system is working OK. I've tried bleeding it and I've tried switching off all of the other radiators but it's still only warmish at the bottom regardless of how hot the top gets. This radiator is quite new, it was only fitted a few years ago and is one of the newest in the house, we've never noticed a problem until this year. We did replace the bathroom radiator last year with a larger one plus the flow and return drop down from an upstairs room, could any of this have caused the problem?

I have a Worcester Combi Boiler which I've set at around 1.3 bars when the stystems not running. Does this sound right?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If the lockshield valves are open and it's still cold, then an alternative possible explanation to sludge is that the radiator is too large for the pipes supplying it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back