Radiator or electric towel rail in ensuite?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning a small ensuite in the loft room (above existing bathroom).

Do I need to add a radiator to the system, or is there an electric towel rail that will do the job?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Your existing pump might struggle to send hot water that far; I've seen problems in an attic. Keep it simple and use an electric rad but beware that towel rails don't have a very high output, unless your little en suite is well insulated.

'Towel radiator' is really a bit of a misnomer, they are now often more correctly referred to as 'towel warmers'. As a rule of thumb, a 'towel warmer' will emit about one third of the heat emitted by a radiator of the same size. But that assumes it is uncovered. Once covered with fluffy insulating towels the heat output is reduced to not very much at all.

Having said that I have known larger electric towel warmers 250 watts or more, if left on permanently keep a small well insulated bathroom reasonably warm, but would be hopeless at heating the room up from scratch first thing in the morning.

My first house (super insulated timber frame construction) with a small bathroom had an electric towel warmer and also a wall mounted fan heater which gives instant heat for a fast top up as required. The towel warmer kept the chill off, and I just switched the fan heater on whilst I was in there showering.

Can they run from the mains (fused spur)? I think I'm going to have to use the last slot on the consumer unit for the shower.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, might save a lot of notching and adding yet another rad to the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back