Radiator over socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apols if this has been posted before - couldn't find it in the archives...

Am I breaking any regulations if I put a radiator over a (double) socket outlet? I imagine it's easier to leave the socket intact to maintain the ring, but I guess I could connect with chocbox and put a blank cover over, or put a JB under the floor?

I suppose it's inconvenient for future sparks, but since a woodlock floor will eventually be laid, no more inacessable that a JB...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure exactly what the regs say (haven't got a copy on me), but generally connections need to be accessible for inspection/maintenance etc - behind a radiator that would effectively require a plumber to remove I very much doubt counts as accessible - under the floor definitely doesn't.

One option would be to use the blanking plate idea, but rejoin the ring with crimps using a proper ratcheting crimp tool, which is allowed by the regs to be inaccessible, rather than choc block...

so does that mean that all JBs under tiled/woodlock/vinyl floors etc aren't allowed ?

Fairly sure that's the case, there is some debate as to exactly what 'accessible' means - can't remember how well it's clarified in the regs - will look it up when I can (if someone doesn't beat me to it)...

Sponsored Links
True, its not defined, but common sense does suggest what is meant by accessible. under a wood block floor isn't.

Its a bit like saying a 20ft fence is jumpable. But knowing that it's only jumpable if you carry a trampoline around with you and dont mind breaking your legs on landing.

C'mon TTC, brighten up my day & show us how it's done...!!

I have had a socket behind a radiator for years. Originally was going to fit a myson but changed my mind. Each PIR I unhook radiator and lean it forward to plug in tester then return radiator to wall. I can not see doing this once every 10 years is a problem. Turn of taps and relatively easy to remove. A lot easier than lifting carpets to access junction boxes I've seen fitted under floor boards. How anyone is to read "Junction box below" written on floor board once carpet is down I don't know. You can see the socket behind my radiator.
So it will stay there. To remove would mean it would break regulations as to permitted routes where cables can be run.

True, its not defined, but common sense does suggest what is meant by accessible.
If you need a tool to get to it, is that accessible?

under a wood block floor isn't.
Or indeed under a wooden boarded floor, if issues of damage are to be considered. For example, someone with an expensive hardwood floor, T&G boards with secret nailing, isn't going to look kindly on the appearance of the Fein/floorboard saw/crowbar from the toolbag...

Does "accessible" imply "without damage"?

Would a 6' fence be jumpable if a sprained ankle was the result?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back