Radiator Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to replace 3 double radiators in my house.

They are old style double panel with no fins. The system dates, I would guess, to the 1960's.

I have 2 no. 39.75" x 18" and 1 no. 32" x 18". At least one of the larger ones has corroded.

I am struggling to calculate the replacement sizes required. They all sit in an angled bay so I need the nearest size. However, from what I have read the up-to-date radiators provide much more output.

My question is will this be a problem?

I think the existing ones output around 1042W/m but new ones (Type 22) pump out something like 4650BTU for the same size EACH!!!! This equates to about 1350 Watts per radiator.

Sponsored Links
I like to try and read up on things fully before tackling them.

The output is higher than the original radiators.

Having given some more though to it since writing the post, I am wondering if I can actually get away with installing only the two longer ones?

I estimate a decrease in output of around 200W if I do that. Otherwise the increase would be around 1000W.

I am wondering if I will also stress the pipes as modern radatior width may not closely match th original imperial widths?

Do I also need to install new TRV's and Lockshields?

The house is Edwardian so I would like it to be more efficient in its use of energy without the bed to go to a new boiler.

The boiler is an old Potterton Netaheat MkIIF which appears to be in the list of dangerous boilers in your FAQ section!!!!

I read somewhere that the best reflectors you can get for behind th radiators really help with efficiency on old 9" brick houses. I do 't particularly like the idea of those but your thoughts are welcomed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back