Radiator ticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3 radiators in the flat and only the one is making a rapid ticking sound during the night. I’ve tried to bleed the rads and adjust the valves but being told that the sound is still coming in the night and stopping them from having a decent sleep. Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Usually it's down to expansion and contraction, some do it, some don't. Sometimes down to missing bracket vibration/expansion clips though sometimes it's just the radiator itself.

The thing is it’s only one radiator in the house and it’s only in the night when it’s time to sleep

Sponsored Links
The fact it's night time won't have much to do with it, it's probably once the system is off and cooling down (around bed time). The fact that it's just one radiator means that you only have one to sort out. It could be the rad it could be the pipework it could be the bracket, it's hard to identify unless there when it's doing it.

The fix can even be as simple as to lift/move it on the brackets just a little. If it was me I'd be draining the rad, lifting it off the wall, make sure the brackets are nice and tight and refit and see if it still does it. That would usually rule out all the other bits and pieces and then it would need the rad changed.

If it still does it then it has to be something else, say pipework under the floor etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back