radiator trickling sound but won't bleed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. As the title says, I have a regular style radiator which constantly has a trickling sound while the heating is running, but each time I try to bleed it, no air comes from the bleed valve, just water.

Curious to know people's suggestions on how to get the air out.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It sounds like there is little or no water to get out.
An obvious, but necessary question; is the bleed nipple at the top of the radiator?!

Does the rad heat up properly, with no cold spots?
If cold spots, in which part of the rad are they?

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes the bleed valve is at the top. The radiator gets hot all over with no cold spots.

Sponsored Links
Then there is no air in that rad. Has your curiosity has been fully satisfied?

I would be more interested in stopping that annoying trickling sound. Does it stop when you close that radiator's valve? Does it restart when you re-open it?

Ha ha, ok thanks. Well I'm still curious about where the trickling sound is coming from. But yeah, it does seem like the rad is full anyway...

plastic fittings on wall brackets are all in place. The trickling sound only happens while the water pump is active. Closing the valve stops the flow and therefore stops the trickling sound.

Do the radiator pipes feed come down vertically (i.e. from the floor above)? If so, I've seen (heard?!) similar before and have put it down to what might be some sort of air lock in the pipes (or valve?) that allows water to pass but in a fashion that is noisy and doesn't actually shift the bubble. Writing it down is making even me think I must be mad/joking but whenever I've witnessed this the scenerio has always been similar - vertically piped radiators and following a draindown/refill. I don't recall a particular fix but time could be one way out.

Is any of this striking any chords, either with your setup MBHomeImprovement or others that actually do this for a living and know what they're talking about?!

Thanks MJN

Yeah I guess its possible that the airlock is in the pipes. There is a vertical coming down and then a pretty long horizontal run around the room to the rad.

If there was air in the pipes though, would would that cause a trickling sound in the rad? I'd still expect the rad to be full of water and therefore not make any noise...?

The airlock is likely to be at the top of the vertical run. The noise in pipes can be difficult to locate.

I'm just guessing but it wouldn't surprise me if noise created within a pipe might well appear to come from the radiator. Or even if the noise really is coming from the radiator, the cause might still be in the pipe.

This must be a common issue so hopefully one of the pros will be along with the nifty tricks to shift it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back