Radiators with CH

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi

Has anyone ever installed radiators in the ceilings or have them installed high on the wall with connections coming down from the ceiling?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I’ve seen CH pipes coming down from the ceiling in some solid floor bungalows. Never seen radiators height on the wall though. Why would you want to do that?

just so the pipes are not running around the walls!!
I meant why would you want radiators high up on the wall? All the ones I have seen have been fitted at normal height with the pipes dropping down in a corner and running along the top of the skirting.

Sponsored Links
For many years a lot of houses installed with pipework coming down from the ceiling to the rads.
But if you want your room to heat up without fan assistance then you will need rads to closer to the ground or it will only heat the area the high level

Yes quite common to have fan assisted radiators in the ceiling, where the heating and cooling is combined, having a cooling system on floor level is not that good, or heating system at ceiling level, but where combined then there has to be a compromise some where, however the fan assisted radiators have a matrix like a car radiator so hot a lot less water, and you also of course need power both for fans and pumps any cooling unit will collect condensate and needs a pump to remove it.

The fans don't make much noise, but we had a wall mounted Myson fan assisted radiator in last house, although very good for fast warm up, and small, late at night when it kicked in did have to adjust TV volume. In our case on a very old boiler, the second problem was it does not store heat, so when boiler fires up, so does the fan start, and within a minute after boiler has stopped, the fan has also stopped to the hysteresis is a lot higher. Not sure how well they will work with a modulating boiler? I would think one small one say in the kick space in kitchen would work OK, but unlike standard radiator they don't control water flow, they control fan the iVector has 5 fan speeds so it changes speed to suit demand, but since it does not stop water flow it will not lift the by-pass valve, so may result in the boiler shutting down too soon.

There are two models, some with twin matrix, one for heating and one for cooling, and some with a combined matrix, I can see the point in using with a heat pump which also can heat or cool the house, but so costly would not expect to see one in a house with gas or oil heating, their main advantage is speed, they hold so little water they heat up fast, so pub, church or any building with rooms wanted at a moments notice they are good, also since matrix is covered no worries with hot parts, so old peoples homes and the like, the iVector is not ceiling mounted, but sure there are some, when I considered fitting one here, the price put me off, not so much for the radiator although they are expensive, but for the building management system to go with it.

The likes of Hive will not work, as no TRV's fitted, so looking at around £6k for my house, and that is keeping the original boiler and pipe work. Plus the cost of the AC unit to cool in summer.

So yes can be done, but cost so high, in real terms no one would want to do it in a private home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back