Radio Plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A mate of mine has an old Radio Rentals model 204. The mains connection on the back looks to me like a two pin plug the type that you would get on an electric shaver. Does anyone know if it is still possible to buy the actual socket that this type of connection requires? Photo attached shows the connection on the back.

plug.jpg

I would imagine that it would be easy enough to disconnect the mains from this and simply add a new fixed mains lead to the radio via connectors inside if such a plug is no longer available. I had a look in B&Q and they had what looked like similar sockets used I think for lawnmowers (orange in colour). There were 2 pin and 3 pin versions available. I wasn't sure though if these would fit as they seemed to have quite a thick outer body and the space around the socket on the radio would require quite a slim fit.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that those terminals are where you attach the mains lead to the appliance?

Sponsored Links
It could be the same, although I suspect that the pins on the radio are larger than the ones on the plug you suggested. I will, as you say, need to get the dimensions to be 100% certain.

I remember when I was little my dad had an extension lead which had a white 2 pin plug on one end and a 2 pin socket on the other. The plug and socket were flat.

This was great for low voltage stuff that needed an extension lead. I was wondering if this was the same type of plug that was used on this. This makes me think that this socket on the radio is the same as these - i.e. shaver plugs.

david_galashiels said:
securespark said:
Are you saying that those terminals are where you attach the mains lead to the appliance?

Indeed yes - that is the connection on the back of the radio to attach a mains lead.

Sorry, at first glance, I thought they were screw terminals!!

Have you contacted Radio Rentals to see what they say? :LOL:

Tried RS or Maplin?

Radio Rentals is no more. I have looked on Maplins and RS website also Canford Audio, but nothing. They seem to stock the shaver plug leads or the 3 pin to 2 pin white adapter socket, but not the female socket needed for the back of this radio.

i strongly suspect you wont get a replacement connector, just how big is it btw, its not the same size as a figure 8 connector is it (from what you have said previously im guessing its considerablly bigger)

if you do decide to use a fixed mains lead then remember to restrain it appropriately, alternatively you could possiblly mount a modern inlet (IEC or figure 8 depending on power requirements) on a plate and replace the connector with it.

I think the solution is going to be to fit a new connector (figure 8 would suffice I think). The pins are about the same as an electric saver plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back