Rads upstairs need constant bleeding after new boiler instal

Pmw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, looking for some advice please as to why my radiators at the top of the house need constant bleeding after a new boiler installation.

Last October I hired a plumbing firm to change my old 25 year old boiler (Potterton Kingfisher) floor standing boiler in the ground floor utility room.

They removed this and fitted a Worcester Greenstar 40Cdi classic regular wall mounted boiler in the same location. It is a sealed system and they replaced the old expansion tank that was in the loft with a new one (big red cylinder) which is positioned under the boiler.

They also fitted a brand new Grundfoss pump and a Magna clean pro cylinder connected to the system under the boiler.

The old central heating pipe network has not been altered except for in the area directly around the connections to the boiler, pump etc. they have fitted what looks like an air release valve near the pump/boiler.

At the time of fitting they cleaned and flushed the system. This has since been done several more times as post fitting a couple of the rads on the ground floor were not heating properly so over a period of months they tried to sort this and also bleed the system. The rads are now mostly working fine except for those the full up with air upstairs.

So the problem that remains is that in both my bathrooms upstairs where I have tall ladder towel rails, the rads needs constant bleeding. These are the two highest rads. Literally I will bleed them until water spurts out, then before I know it the top third of the rad is cold again, full of air the next day or sooner. I try to bleed the rads when the system is cold.

The plumbers have been round a number of times and don't seem to be able to sort it. They have suggested it might be a problem with the old design of the pipe network in my house, citing that they think the house boiler was elsewhere at some point... But I know the previous boiler was in the utility room for 25 odd years where it is now, and prior to changing it I didn't have this problem.

I'm no expert but every google result for "air constantly in my central heating" or similar suggests there is a problem, a leak, or a problem with the boiler install.

The installers are a reputable local gas safe firm. I am therefore perplexed why they are seemingly unable to resolve this.

What's also really weird is that both of these rads are fitted with electric heating elements for use in the summer. Both have stopped working since the boiler installation. I have had an electrician check the programmer boxes where I set the timer programmes for the heating elements and these are fine... Could the boiler install / flushing have damaged both heating elements?

Any tips gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
are some of the pipes buried in the floor/screed ?

you are having to constantly re-charge the system via a filling loop ?

Thanks for replying.

Yes some of the pipes are under the floor. No I don't need to fill up the system with fresh water much, despite the constant bleeding. Above / connected to the expansion tank is a little valve which allows me to add water with a pressure gauge, but the pressure doesn't seem to really go down much so I'm not filling it much.

are you bleeding them when the heating cold ? Because you should have to top it up everytime you bleed the rads if they are empty

Sponsored Links
Yes when the heating is off. It's only the top 1/4 of the rads which are full of air.. Does this help?

Have you tested to make sure it's not hydrogen gas? As it's a sealed system, unlikely to be air.

Morning!
No I haven't done the match test which I read about last night in similar posts, but certainly there is no smell to the air that comes out when I bleed it. I'll try the match test this evening.

Take a sample of heating water and place it in a glass, drop a tarnished penny in it and leave it for a while. If the water cleans the penny, the system hasn't been properly flushed of cleaner and that is where the gas is coming from

OK thanks for this tip. I'll ask my wife to do this now and i'll be able to see the result this evening.

Cheers.

Edit: how long would I need to leave the tarnished penny in the water for it to cleanse if there is still some cleaner in the water?
Thanks.

If there's enough for it to cause continual gassing then 24 hours will be sufficient, maybe less

Thanks. It's been since about 11am and no change to the coin yet... Will check in the morning.

still no change to the coin overnight, suggesting no cleaning product left in the system...

Happy weekend everyone.

Any other insights gratefully received.

Thanks.

Where is the pressure gauge fitted ?

Did the rads heat properly with the old boiler? If so, the new boiler install seems not fit for purpose, therefore up to the installers to sort it out. If they cannot, then it is up to them to employ someone who can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back