Rads upstairs need constant bleeding after new boiler instal

Did you do the match test to see if its hydrogen rather than air ?

Sponsored Links
Water leak somewhere, probably in the pipework downstairs.

Quite common when a system is converted from open vent to sealed.

If it is a sealed system (?) and there was a leak the pressure would go down. The OP hasn't mentioned this ? OP, are you sure its a sealed system ? Thats why i mentioned the gauge in an earlier post. If you are sure, are you topping it up only after you bleed the rads or do you need to top it up without bleeding them ?

Hi thanks for the replies.

The pressure gauge is next to the expansion tank which is positioned on the floor under the wall mounted boiler.

Yes I said to the installer recently it's approaching time where we might need to get an independent third party plumber to take a look which clearly we would not be paying for.

The rads were fine previously, very occasional bleeding but nothing like where have to bleed daily or else the top quarter of the rad is cold and full of air.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Sorry I missed a couple of questions earlier.
I have spoken to the plumber this morning and he confirmed it is indeed a pressurised sealed system.
He is going to come round later this week and also get the bioler manufacturer to come and visit to check the boiler is not the cause.
If there's interest I'll post an update later.
Thanks all.

If you leave the bleeding for a few days, do you have to top it up ?

No if I don't bleed I don't need to top it up either.

To be honest I've stopped bleeding it regularly as it makes no lasting difference.

Plumbers hopefully coming round later this week...

So, if you don't top it up that rules a leak out. Could be hydrogen building up, or possibly had an airlock (admitadley a big one) that has found its way up to said rad. Hope they sort it for you, let us know the outcome.

HI - tried the match test last night and it's a nil result. nothing happened...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back