Rainwater drainage on driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a shared driveway, which mostly slopes down towards a spot which has an "inspection cover". This cover is completely solid and screwed down, so that it is completely sealed, so the rainwater doesn't actually drain into it.

Now, this cover is about a foot from the rear corner of the house, and I have noticed that the brick at ground level on that corner is eroded at the edge. During the recent downpours, I have noticed that the rain comes pouring straight along the back of the house towards the kitchen drain.

So, my question is could this drain cover be replaced with a grille cover, so that the rain can run down into it, rather than along the back of the house?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
ooooo pooooo ;)

well the smell off

thats assuming its your main drain
you need a drain with a trap [u bend type thing ]to catch the smells

not shure if you can route surface water into the foul drains now!!!!

big-all said:
not shure if you can route surface water into the foul drains now!!!!

Not without building control approval. These days you have to install a soakaway unless its impractical. (legally speaking)

When I took the "inspection cover" off, the pipework beneath seemed remarkably clean, and didn't smell at all. This leads me to think that it's not the foul water drain, but is in fact a surface water drain with the wrong cover on.....maybe?

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately my first comment still applies: Not without building control approval. These days you have to install a soakaway unless its impractical. (legally speaking) I expect some authorities will be more flexible than others though. You can enquire with your local building control and remain anonymous if you wish, or ask a 'hypothetical' question! ;) ;) In reality I guess they're unlikely to find out so its really your shout!

even if you were to by-pass building control altogether, would you want a load of storm water and all the crud that goes with it passing directly into your drain system unchecked.

this is the main reason why there is a catchment bowl in the bottom storm gulleys. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back