Rainwater inside WB 30CDI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Hope you can help. Before I go any further I would like to state that I do not intend to carry out any repairs myself as I am a spark and will get an appropriately qualified installer to do it.
I have a WB Greenstar 40CDI Conventional.
I have recently noticed pools of water beneath the boiler and upon further investigation and after removing the cover I discovered that rainwater is entering the boiler via the outer flue ring, running down inside the casing and then pooling in the bottom and eventually dripping out and past all the expensive electronics. The inside of the casing is becoming corroded and there is a very good chance at some point the boiler electronics will get damaged.
The flue is only 350mm long horizontally plus the terminal. It has a incline on it going up and away from the boiler. Which speaking to WB seems to be correct.
1) Is there some sort of rain guard that I can fabricate or buy and fit?
2) The flue seems to protrude more than necessary making it more exposed (by around 100mm) can it be cut back more flush to the wall? Note the distance from the top of the flue to the underside of the gutter is 400mm.
Any help appreciated before my boiler blows!

Sponsored Links
You could be in an area where rain prefers to blow in horizontally, but this is unlikely (we've only seen this on high rise flats).

Worcester specify that if the flue is pushed out further than normal from the wall face to miss overhanging eaves, a bead of silicon sealant is run around the joint between the black plastic terminal where it meets the white steel outer tube. In normal installations this joint between plastic and metal is sheathed by the black rubber ring that masks the flue wall aperture. I couldn't see any signs that this had been done from the photos.

As you suggest, the clearance to the eaves is more than enough not to justify extending the flue beyond the normal wall penetration. You often see this on jobs where the installer couldn't be bothered to measure the correct depth and just shoved it through freestyle.

Lastly, it is possible that the water is leaking from the inner tube containing combustion products and saturated vapours. If this is the case you'd expect rust staining around the inside of the boiler where the flue turret bolts on (the rust coming from the insides of the air tube).

If this is the case contact your installer immediately.

In any case water ingress is not typical on this model (we fit around 50 Regulars a year) and usually only occurs in torrential rain, and the boiler evaporates the small amount off before damage is done.

Don't make up a guard, this is not permitted under the regulations we all work under.

You could be in an area where rain prefers to blow in horizontally, but this is unlikely (we've only seen this on high rise flats).

The area where the flue is installed is a bit of a "corridor" as there is a waist height wall opposite and wind tend to swirl through this area which could be causing it.

Worcester specify that if the flue is pushed out further than normal from the wall face to miss overhanging eaves, a bead of silicon sealant is run around the joint between the black plastic terminal where it meets the white steel outer tube. In normal installations this joint between plastic and metal is sheathed by the black rubber ring that masks the flue wall aperture. I couldn't see any signs that this had been done from the photos.
There is no silicone but the joint is very snug and clips together I doubt the water is getting in here but its possible.

As you suggest, the clearance to the eaves is more than enough not to justify extending the flue beyond the normal wall penetration. You often see this on jobs where the installer couldn't be bothered to measure the correct depth and just shoved it through freestyle.
So would you suggest it is shortened back to reduce the "exposure" you may not be able to see it from the photos but just the outer tube would be sufficient length.

Lastly, it is possible that the water is leaking from the inner tube containing combustion products and saturated vapours. If this is the case you'd expect rust staining around the inside of the boiler where the flue turret bolts on (the rust coming from the insides of the air tube).
The water seems to be definitely coming from the outer tube as the rust staining is on the back of the boiler and then the base nowhere else I can see.

If this is the case contact your installer immediately.

In any case water ingress is not typical on this model (we fit around 50 Regulars a year) and usually only occurs in torrential rain, and the boiler evaporates the small amount off before damage is done.

Don't make up a guard, this is not permitted under the regulations we all work under.

Thanks loads for your input so far, anything further would be appreciated based on my response. Anybody local to Bolton fancy having a look at this and servicing it for me?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back