WB 30CDi being installed Monday - does it need notifying?

Sponsored Links
As I've said in the past, I think a combi devalues the property, especially a 4 bed semi.

It's when you come to sell and a family are looking to buy.

A good heat only boiler is far better and 10x more reliable.

Having a combi fitted as the we need to loose the tanks and cisterns for some house mod. plans we have.

Good question on flow rate! He didnt check but I will tomorrow..

Cheers.

Incoming water cold mains water flow is 14L/min measured off kitchen tap. Is that sufficient not to be frustrating slow for filling bath etc?

Sponsored Links
14 li/min measured as an open pipe flow will equate to perhaps 10 li/min when its gone through the boiler and a shower head.

Thats not even as much as the boiler can heat!

What is more relevant is to measure the dynamic flow. Thats the flow rate with a remaining pressure of 0.5 or 1.0 Bar and gives a better indication of the flow rate that would be achieved in practice.

An installer who quotes for a combi to replace a heat only boiler without measuring the mains water flow rate, is stupid beyond belief and letting himself in for the likelyhood of fitting a new boiler and then not getting paid for his work when it does not perform properly.

Tony

Incoming water cold mains water flow is 14L/min measured off kitchen tap. Is that sufficient not to be frustrating slow for filling bath etc?
Depend on size of bath and how deep you like the water! Why not fill your bath from the existing tanks, time how long it takes, calculate approx how much water and work out the flow rate?

The 30DCi gives a temperature rise of 35C at a flow rate of 13.1 L/min; so it will be OK most of the time. But if the incoming water is very cold - below 5C - you may have to turn a shower flow down to get hot enough water.

I think that D.Hailsham needs to read my posting above his where I explain that 14 li/min is not what will be flowing through a boiler and shower!

Tony

All very good points thanks and I can now be confident of getting the job done right..

Cheers.

PS. - Is there any scrap value in the copper tank? :)

All very good points thanks and I can now be confident of getting the job done right..

Cheers.

PS. - Is there any scrap value in the copper tank? :)

Loads if you take the lagging off.

I would hide it in the garage so you can put it back later. :rolleyes:

You have me a little worried now about the flow rates availble. If I did change my mind and decided against the combi what would be my options please?

I need a system (boiler + hot water storage vessel of some sort I assume) that will fit in a large kitchen larder style cabinet (H 2100mm x W 600mm x D 570) ?

I can keep the header tanks I have in the loft if needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back